New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 with 95gr SST, bah
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok I was all excited to try shooting my first deer with reloads that I did myself. Im loading 95 grain SST with 44 grains of I4350 and they shoot under 1 MOA so I figure Im good to go hunting. First deer I shot is a direct shoulder shot. Bullet exploded on the bone and didnt exit the other side, and this was on a small button buck. The shoulder I hit was pretty much destroyed and fragments made the deer DRT. It didnt take a step but I still dont like the performance of this load. On a large deer or with an imperfect shot one could easily get away. Since then I have shot 2 more deer with this same load, one was a double lung shot with an exit hole about the size of a tennis ball and the other was a shoulder entrance ( no bone hit ) and it exited near the diaphram on the opposite side. The exit wound on this one looked like a shotgun exit, the meat in an area about the size of a tennis ball was just shredded with a complete hole a little larger than a golf ball. I would guess these loads are moving around 3200 fps, should I load them down or try a different bullet?

one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
Quote:

First deer I shot is a direct shoulder shot. Bullet exploded on the bone and didnt exit the other side, and this was on a small button buck. The shoulder I hit was pretty much destroyed and fragments made the deer DRT. It didnt take a step but I still dont like the performance of this load. Since then I have shot 2 more deer with this same load, one was a double lung shot with an exit hole about the size of a tennis ball and the other was a shoulder entrance ( no bone hit ) and it exited near the diaphram on the opposite side. The exit wound on this one looked like a shotgun exit, the meat in an area about the size of a tennis ball was just shredded with a complete hole a little larger than a golf ball. I would guess these loads are moving around 3200 fps, should I load them down or try a different bullet?

Keep on shooting em....dead deer tell no tales.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Why are you shooting in the shoulder? IMHO these bullets are for lung and neck shots.

posted Hide Post
Furor:
My 2 cents, you might want to try a soft point in 90, 95 or 100gr. Weight.
GW

Posts: 23 | Location: Peoples Republic of N.Y. | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you insist on trying shoulder shots with a .243, maybe you should consider using a premium controlled expansion bullet like the Nosler Partition or Speer Grand Slam or even a Barnes X or Triple Shock. On the other hand, if you are willing to hold few inches behind the shoulder, a Nosler 95 gr Ballistic Tip, or 100 gr Solid Base should work fine. Perhaps even the SST would perform on a lung shot or neck shot. Or there is always the option of moving up to a larger caliber, as I am confident a .270 or 30-06 (or even a 6.5x55 with 140 gr bullets) would do just fine on the shoulder of whitetail or mulie.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your bullet performance seems similar to mine with a Hornady 95gr. SST in my 6mm Rem. It's about what I would expect. Have you given any thought to the Nosler Partition?
You might find that more to your liking, but I suspect the results might be almost the same as the SST you're using. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting very good accuracy with my .243 using the 100 grain Nosler Patition using IMR 4350. You may want to switch to the Partitions.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any experience shooting deer in the shoulder with a .243 diameter premium bullets, I was wondering if these bullets were a little light for routine shoulder shots.
Jeff

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

The Barnes 85gr TSX from the 243 does a great job if the two mule deer bucks I've shot are any indicator. One was a shoulder shot, the bullet exited the off side and anchored the deer at 130 paces. The other was a lung shot and exited on the offside shoulder @ 184 paces. Meat damage was minimal.

My 12 year old grandson used this load on a 6X6 bull elk this season @ 75 yards. Lung shot. The bull dropped about 30yds from where it was shot. The bullet exited the off side.

Posts: 64 | Location: AZ, Maricopa, Phoenix | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
A bullet like the 95 grain Nosler Partition might have done better, but the idea, with a small bullet like the .24 cals., is NOT to shoot big, heavy bones! On a rib cage shot, you will get complete pass-thrus, and a lot less meat damage.

The .24's are not particularly suited for taking difficult-angle shots.