Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with a load
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted
I am new to reloading and I have developed only a few loads for two of my rifles (30.06 and 300 WM) using Vectan powder and Speer and Hornady 180 Grns bullets.
When trying to develop a load with the french GPA bullet (180 Grns) I got a very good result with the 300WM (less than 1MOA) but not with the 30.06.
I have reduced/increased the powder charge always with a very bad result: holes scattered all over the target and most of them very strange ones (each hole looking like made by two shots overlapping).
Can any one of you experienced reloaders tell me what is happening?

Thanks

B.Martins

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Those components are not common here but the twist of a 30/06 and 300 Win Mag are the same with most rifles.

How does it shoot with factory 30/06's?

one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Don,

No problem with factory ammo.Its a Sauer-90 rifle I have been using for years and I can get about 1,5 MOA with most of the factory bullets.

B.Martins

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Kimmo E>
posted
Maybe a change of powder will do it. Not every rifle like the same powder/bullet combination.

I am not familiar with the powder you use but if it`s a lot of space in the shell, then you are at max pressure i`ll think you should try a slower powder.

one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Kimmo,

I am following the bullet manufacturer instructions, using the recommended amount of powder (52.3 Grns Vectan TU7000).
I believe your suggestion is a good one. I will try with TU8000 and see what it will bring.

Thank you.

B.Martins

<Kimmo E>
posted
the only 3006 i loaded for likes Norma MRP
61 grains for 180gr bullets.

Look for a powder with the listed max. 60-62gr.

MVH Kimmo

<Reloader66>
posted
No two rifles will react the same to a given powder or bullet. Both rifles should have 1 in 10" twist bores and should shoot 125 to 220 gr. bullets well. As long as your 30-06 has a sound bore that is not shot out, it is telling you it does not like that powder or for that matter the bullet. The 30-06 is not a magnum capacity case and should show good results with medium to slow burning rate powders that fill the case to the shoulder. With bullet weights from 125 to 165 you should try powders like IMR4064, IMR 4895, REl-15, IMR4350. With bullet weights of 165 to 220 you should try IMR4350, IMR4831, H4831, Rel-19, Rel-22. There are several more powder choices that will work in the fine old 30-06 case. Seating depth of the bullet is also very important to best possible accuracy in any handload. If you must use one powder for both crtridges it may take several trys to find that powder. Just because a certain powder is supposed to shoot well in those two cartridges it is not certain it will.

one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Reloader,

Thank you for all the information and advise.
My 30.06 is new (less than 200 factory shots) so the problem must be powder or bullet (or both).
Unfortunately I don't have much choice when it comes to powder. Even Vectan is not easy to find (and american powders are out of question).

Thanks

B.Martins