New
Find
Notify
Tools

20" 30-06 barrel, fast or slow powder?
 Login/Join

<heider>
posted
With a 20" barrel is it more efficiant to use a a lighter bullet with faster powder or heavy one with slower powder?

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Whatever powder(s) the manuals list as giveing the best preformance with your bullet will hold true for long or short barrels. You don`t say what bullet wgt you`re useing, but it still holds true.

[ 06-17-2003, 19:17: Message edited by: Ol` Joe ]

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would avoid the "slow burners", b/c the velocity won't be there. Your best bet would be in the 4895 to 4350 neighborhood.

As for bullet weight, pick a favorite. Your rifle will tell you what it likes best.

packrat

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
heider, you'd probably want to stick with H4895 or Varget and 150gr bullet, works for me. jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well your going to hear that fast powders give higher velocity in short barrels because some gun writter said so, and many accepted that at face value,,,,

If you own a chronograph you will find the slow burners like H and IMR 4831, H414, etc. still hold the edge in velocity, recoil and blast.....

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heider:

I am a fan of the mid range powders in all weights except for 200 and 220 grain bullets.
IMR 4064, 4895, H 380 RL 15,

This is regardless of barrel length, because I got decent velocity, EXCELLENT accuracy ( the main point I believe) and less recoil and throat erosion ( longer barrel life) with the mid range powders. [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
This is splitting hairs IMHO but as a general rule the lighter the bullet weight the more effecient powder will be slightly faster and vice versa. The 06 is an amazingly versatile cartridge, it will produce fine results with anything as fast as 4895 and as slow as Rlr 22, but basically Ray is right, whats good for most 06s will probably also be the best place for you to start ie; IMR 4350, H414 etc.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the for what it is worth category for years my lil G33/40 wore a 21" tube on it. Here are the 2 loads that I used.

125 TNT-R15-CCI BR2-W/W case==3200 fps

I used the 180 Hornady and Noz Pt also

IMR 4350-CCI BR2-w/w case==2650 fps

It was a awesome tube and I morned the day it died.

It is now a 06 Improved--that is what I call a 270--grins

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 20 inch Smith and Wesson Model D mannlicher carbine built on a Husquavarna mauser action. Fastest and most accurate loads with both 165 and 180 grainers is always achieved with 4350. 150s are faster and more accurate with 4895 and 4320. I think bullet weight is more important in the O6 than barrel length.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
As several have pointed out above, the idea that faster-burning powders produce higher velocities in rifles with short barrels is basically a crock! What you want is a powder that will sustain the highest safe pressures (greatest push) for as long as possible before the bullet exits the bore. Slower burning types do this better than ones which run out of steam sooner, provided, of course, that one loads to maximum BUT SAFE pressure levels regardless of the type of propellant being used.

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
For my 30-06, bolt action, RL 19 or IMR 4350 are excellent powders, @ 57.0 w/180 Noslers and Fed GM210M Primers.

For my Rem 742 and Browning BAR I use VARGET @ 47.0 and 180 Noslers w/CCI BR2 primers. A faster powder is needed for the Auto's because of Chamber/port pressure.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
In standard calibers I have chrony'd with 20"-22" tubes the faster powders have given better velocities with lighter bullets. Only when heavy for caliber bullets have been used have the slower powders produced better velocity than faster powders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With 180 grain bullets, RL22 will probably give highest velocity. 62 grains in Remington cases with Federal match primers pushes a 180 Partition to 2825 in my 22" Ruger 30-06. It shows no undue pressure signs in MY rifle.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote