New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass Trimming Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i just bought a brand new lyman universal trimmer and when i clamp my brass in and turn the cutter the brass wobbles around the guide near at the cutter and makes a messy cut at best.

i resive and deprime each case before resizing as every reloading book recomends and the case fits loosely around the mouth guide on the trimmer. it only fits tightly before the case is resized.

any suggestions???

one of us
posted Hide Post
The case neck needs to fit into an appropriately sized pilot which is screwed onto the cutter end. I think this trimmer comes with about 8-12 pilots of various calibre?? If you havent put a pilot in then the case will wobble all over the place ... likewise a pilot that's too small.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lyman trimmer only comes with a small selction of pilots.

As Con said you need to order the correct sized pilot for your calibre.

My Lyman trimmer works pretty well, you need to deburr after with a normal deburring tool on outside and inside. Lee one works ok for both outside and inside.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have access to a lathe, it's a few minutes' work to turn a pilot that'll fit your resized cases EXACTLY.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey gilk

Try just putting the case in the holder without tightening it, then push the mandrel into the neck, then rotate the case tightening wheel and the handle of the cutter slowly at the same time. That way the mandrel will center the case and keep it from wobbling.

If your mandrel fits loosely in the case neck after resizing you have the wrong mandrel or you have some problem with the resizing process.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gilk:
i just bought a brand new lyman universal trimmer and when i clamp my brass in and turn the cutter the brass wobbles around the guide near at the cutter and makes a messy cut at best.

i resive and deprime each case before resizing as every reloading book recomends and the case fits loosely around the mouth guide on the trimmer. it only fits tightly before the case is resized.

any suggestions???
What woods has said, plus turning the head shaft assembly by loosing the hex nut may help some, the head as it comes from the factory may be out of alignment. You said "it(case) only fits tightly before its resized". The case neck should be smaller after resizing, not bigger. ???? Make sure you have the correct size pilot as others have said.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ya the piolt is the right size but the cutter shaft has a little play and the resized neck fits loosely around the pilot, i've come the the conclusion the that lyman universal case trimmer is just a piece of shit and doesnt meet my standards for precision...i was told that a wilson trimmer what i need.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same question as 243winxb, The neck on a fired case should have a larger dia. than a resized case. How is it that your trimmer is tighter with a fired round and loose after resizing?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your trimmer pilot is the right size the only way I can see this happening is if the resizing pilot is oversized. I'd pull it out and mic it.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Gilk, Your expander button in your size die is obviously oversize. Polish it down to a suitable diameter or better yet throw it away. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simple deduction: If there is slop between the case neck and the pilot, either your resizing ball is the wrong size or you have the wrong pilot in the trimmer.
Resize a case. Take a proper sized bullet and try to put it in the neck of the case with your fingers. If it won't go, then assume the resizer ball is the correct size. Then you get the proper sized pilot and go from there. As someone suggested, have you put a mike on any of this stuff??? That would be a good first step. If something is out of specs, a call to Lyman would be a good second step.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A poor carpenter blames his tools.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AMEN!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Vince:
The Lyman trimmer only comes with a small selction of pilots.

Mine came with nine (9) pilots, is a good piece of machinery, with some quirks, (but then I had trouble working the first powder dribbler I bought.)

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you buy this trimmer brand new or was it used?

If the main bushing that the cutter shaft runs in is badly worn you cant blame the tool. If so its easily fixed.

Mine has been used to drastically shorten cases to make ammo for an obsolete cartidge and it handels it easily. I am a machinist by trade and fussy and cant say I was in any way concerend with the rsults with the Lyman trimmer.

The pilots have the size stamped on the ends, check it is a good fit and order another one if not.

I also have Forster trimmer which is superior but also cost quite a bit more. It also neck reams and outside neck turns. Cant say it is any better, just does more and looks nicer.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote