New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Rifle changes?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up my new Savage 111F 338 Winnie yesterday. As always, not much to look at but I now own 5 Savages and they are hands down the most consistantly accurate rifles I own, oh and cheap too! BUT, the trigger was (of course) awful and when I tore into to it to do the obligatory trigger job last night I noticed that Savage has changed the trigger--There is no adjustment for sear engagement as has always been on past triggers! Out comes the stone and an hour later its much better but still not perfect. Anyway, does anyone know if other changes have been made to the actions lately? I have done some looking but have yet to find an aftermarket trigger I can afford, any ideas?
Last thing, I'm looking at Boyd Laminate stocks--do these come with action screw holes tapped? Are folks generally pleased with quality?

FYI-I couldn't pass the local range on the way home and poked a 1" 5 shot group with cheapo Rem factory loads, even with the creepy crawly trigger. Yippie!

Thanks all for the input.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowcat:
... when I tore into to it to do the obligatory trigger job last night I noticed that Savage has changed the trigger--There is no adjustment for sear engagement as has always been on past triggers!

I just did Ann's Savage trigger job on her brand-new .300 Winchester Magnum... and noticed the same thing. My own Savages, slightly older, have the adjustment feature. I commented to my gunsmith buddy that I figured the lawyers had gotten to Savage. Still, it was some of my best work to date.

Since her rifle is for hunting and not benchrest, I really didn't want to go lighter. I think I got hers down to about 2.25 pounds. She's quite happy with the way it turned out, as opposed to when she won the rifle.

Also... I don't know if this was the case with YOUR new Savage... but someone (I can't believe it would be "Savage"... but she said she didn't think anyone had messed with her rifle prior to her winning it) had applied molybdenum disulfide grease to the sear engagement area!!!

This.

Is.

A.

Major.

No-no.

Anyway... she has a proper trigger job and it didn't cost her a dime -- nor several dollars for the infamous "aftermarket" replacement triggers.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes! I forgot to mention it but the sear and trigger assembly were covered in what looked like bearing grease--it looked like just the trigger was greased, the rest of the action was clean. I can not believe the lawyers let them get away with that one! Savage's attempt to "smooth out" a mandatory 9 pound trigger? Needless to say, out came the solvent and rags. Glad to hear you got yours worked down well. Did your smithy mention any other changes to the actions? I'm still in the break in period with mine but it seems to be shooting well.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage FSS in .300 Win Mag. It is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned but the trigger is AWEFUL!!! I have not shot the rifle in months because the trigger is so bad and I have a new .338 Win Mag that has all my attention presently. I have gotten groups in the .6's & .8's with that 10-lb. trigger. I am thinking about putting on a Timney but if the Savage trigger is adjustable why spend the money? I would be interested in how to adjust the trigger if someone would like to share the "Know How". Thanks.

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a Timney in my Savage 22-250 and I've been a happy camper. It is set at a hair over 2#. Going to do the same for Savage .223.

Posts: 59 | Location: Soledad, CA USA | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just had my scout rifle trigger done. Set it at 3.5lbs and no creep! The smith didn't say anything to me about the trigger being different than other years/models etc. Of course maybe he wouldn't and I should have asked.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
There is a good write-up on savage triggers in the technical section of varminthunters.com (GGVG). HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote