Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TSX 168/180 grs for .300 Win Mag
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone tell me some good loads for those bullets? I'll fire it with my R93 20" barrel, 1-10" twisted. I'm a vitahvuory lover and i'd like to use those powders but as by now i haven't found any good loads for accuracy... And then, did anyone load the new Barnes, the tippered ones?!?! Honestly i think there should not be a lot of difference... Thanx!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer 71 gr of H 4831 SC w/ CCI 200 primer and 168 TSX. Maybe you can start at 70 gr and work up to see what your gun likes.

On game... I've used both the 168 and 180 TSX and cannot tell the difference.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
On game... I've used both the 168 and 180 TSX and cannot tell the difference.

+1 to that. I'm using the 168 TSX in my '06 and have been very impressed. Twice I've gotten 32"+ of penetration. Only know that because twice the deer was polite enough to stand facing me, and I pulled the bullet out of the ham. Once the bullet was just under the skin on the ham; the other time I had to dig in a bit because it broke the femur and stopped there still 2 or 3" in the ham!

My point is that these bullets penetrate so well that the traditional rule of heavier weight for more momentum to insure penetration aren't really applicable. And I like the higher velocity to insure expansion at longer ranges. So, I'd try the 168 and see what you can get with it.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanx guys! at the moment i'm going to find a very good load for the e-tips 180 grs so i'll first end up rifining those bullets... i've never used hodgdon's powders so i'll check it too! i have no deers in my hunting zones so i'll be pleased to test them on some wildboars!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon powders are very good though I use more RL and IMR stuff myself though not for any good reason other than I found good loads with them.

The hogs will be a much better test of the bullet than a deer. Just about any bullet will kill a little deer---especially the ones we have in North Central Texas! Take a few broadside shots through the shoulders and let us know what happens.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote