Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.222 Rem. Mag. brass
 Login/Join

posted
I'm about to embark on resizeing the Ruger .204 to the .222 Rem. Mag. has anyone had any experience with this and if so have you encountered any problems that you could pass on. Any comments would be appreciated.

Posts: 10 | Location: United States | Registered: 07 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may be headed for a lot of problems there. Although the two share a common overall length, the shoulder on the .204 case is much farther forward and will have to be moved to the rear. My bet is that a single pass through a fl sizing die will cause the case to crumple. The process will likely need one or two intermediate forming dies in order to push the shoulder back and reduce the diameter there without destroying the case. These can be made of course but the expense would be high I think.
Better perhaps just to buy .222 Mag brass. I can see some of your reasoning here however. The old Remington .222 Mag. Was designed to work at .222 Rem. pressures and loses primer pockets quickly when pushed to higher pressures. The Remington stuff can be a bit soft. The .204 brass is designed to work at modern pressures and I'd expect it to last better.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 10 | Location: United States | Registered: 07 February 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sorry I hit send without thinking. What I would like to ask , no offense intended, but were your comments based on having tried the resize or on your expertise.Thanks again, L.N.R.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Certainly no offense taken. No, I have not actually tried this particular resize. This is based on experience resizing and reforming other stuff. I guess if you want to try this I'd be interested to hear how it actually works out. I assume you already have the brass and dies so it's now a "nothing ventured nothing gained" scenario.Smiler

And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes the investments are already made I bought the triple two new in 1965 and it has been a faithful friend. The brass I can lose but my concern was with the rifle. Any more advise is welcome.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me get this straight...you want to use 204 brass to make 222 mag cases because the 222 mag cases are unobtainable???

If this is the case...just run the 204 case into the 222 RM sizer die, cases slicked up with sizing wax to move the shoulder back, then fireform in the 222 RM chamber or use a Hornady sizer with the elliptical sizing button to resize the 204 neck to 224.

You shouldn't have any problem at all if you are careful and test for the best method of applying force to the resizing operation. You might have to move the press handle fast, slow or somewhere in between.

Goto Saubier.com or 6mm BR and ask the same question...I'll bet someone there has already done what you want to do and can give you some good pointers.

Actually...they both run at the same pressure...58740 psi...and whether a particular brand is "softer" than another is mainly conjecture and probably specific case run/brand specific.

I have a 222 RM and 100 Rem cases and I've gotten the pressures up above the 58.7KPSI MANY TIMES for certain bullet weights..."magnumitise to the max" shocker Roll Eyes, but well below the brass deformation zone so the primer pockets are still firm...most cases have been reloaded at least 20 times each.

I haven't needed to reform any 204 cases to 222 RM but I've been wildcatting and forming cases every whichaway since the early 60's and going this way is the easiest and least likely to cause problems...you just have to try a few to actually see, there isn't any other way...what works for some might not work for you, so test it yourself. I doubt you need an intermediate sizer because the cases are basically the same size and shape and should be supported all the way along the case wall...just the shoulder is being pushed back and brass usually forms easiest this way.

While I think going through the case forming process is a great way to learn a bit about "wildcatting"...I would make up a couple dozen to keep me shooting and find a source of brass or wait until someone has it in stock, then buy a lifetimes worth...the 222 RM is long in the tooth and on it's way out even though it is a very good, useful, sorta Ackley-ized, 222 R cartridge...the 223 put the kybosh on a lot of good cartridges.

Your experiences may vary.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!! As chance would have it I too have had a .222 Mag since 1965 myself (Sako L461.) I've always loved that caliber since it was my first "real" varmint rifle. And i still resent the .223 for "killing" this wonderful caliber. Since then I've accumulated a custom Rem. 700 with Hart barrel and a heavy LH 40 xb repeater with 1:8 twist that really shoots Sierra 80 gr MK's. Unfortunately I haven't played with them in several years.

posted Hide Post
Many thanks I'm looking foreward to task and I appreciate your input.

posted Hide Post
Well it seems it seems you have experienced a serendipitous find in your own safe due to a simple response on a website.

posted Hide Post
Did I reply to your post? If not I apologize I'm new to this site. At any rate if this is repetious it's sincere. Thanks for your input it was very helpful and I will use it. Thanks, L.N.R.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
222 mag brass isn't that hard to find. i was at a a gun show today and saw at least 2 guys selling it

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple hundred pieces myself. . But be sure to let us know how this turns out since I wouldn't mind perpetuating my own supply by being able to form more.

posted Hide Post
Will try to update when finished.

posted Hide Post
I've found it from time to time but I'm always looking for a source where their not so proud of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have plenty of .222 Magnum brass for my three rifles, so no need to reform .204, However . . .

If you can find a tapered expander in .224", then you've got it whipped. Moving the shoulder back the very slight amount will be child's play (don't over lube or you'll get dents from the excess fluid caught in the die.)

By the way, there is no difference in the construction of any of the case heads based on the original .222 Remington. Anything from .17 Fireball through .222 RM will withstand the same pressures (although various makes of brass may be harder or softer in the head.) The .222 Magnum (as well as the .222 Rem and .221 Fireball) may be loaded to the same pressures as the .223, provided the firearm they are used in is designed for such pressures.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I encounter no problems in the process of resizeing the .204 to the .222, it takes a litle more time from initial step but it was a simple and productive exericize. I'm happy with the results thus far. If you have some .222 Mag. brass you can let go of I would welcome the opportunty to take some off of your hands.