New
Find
Notify
Tools

decap before tumbling or after?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been loading handgun brass awhile(.357, .44) but haven't yet needed to clean brass. Today I ordered a tumbler, and am trying to determine whether or not to order a universal depriming die to decap spent brass prior to tumbling. My desire is to save time in the loading process, so I don't really want to run the cases through yet another die. On the other hand, if it eliminates the need to clean primer pockets by hand, it might be worth it.

I'm just thinking out loud here, so I'll turn it over to the rest of you. First of all, is it important to clean primer pockets on handgun brass? -every time? If you believe that it is, do you decap first, then clean the pockets in the tumbling process; or do you tumble, then decap in the resizing die and clean the pockets by hand? What do you see as pros and cons of each approach? Are there any issues I've overlooked in determining which route to follow?

Pardon me if this question has been asked and answered recently. I thought of running a search, but wasn't sure what keywords would locate exactly what I was seeking.

I appreciate your help very much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tumble first, decap second, simply because I don't like the little pieces of tumbling media (I use ground walnut shell) that get stuck in the flash holes. In my experience, tumbling doesn't seem to clean the primer pockets very well anyway.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to clean the cases before. If you decap first, media will stick in the primer pocket if the media isn't real fine. Tumbling also doesn't clean the primer pocket very well anyway. I mostly shoot rifle brass but I think the same would be for handgun.

Posts: 241 | Location: Beaumont, tx | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i do both. if im lazy and i dont want to wipe the case lube off i just toss them back in the tumbler and let it go for a half hour or so then take them out and i use a paper clip to get the media in the primer pockets out. some time i just toss the cases in there and then deprime and wipe that cases.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My procedure for cleaning brass:
1. Resize/Decap the brass.
2. Throw them in the tumbler for about an hour or so.
If they're really getting grungy, I might leave them there overnight!
3. Empty the tumbler and remove the media from the cases.
4. Clean the primer pockets with my new Trim Mate. If the media sticks in the flash hole, I poke it out with a small screw driver I ground down like an awl!

NOTE: TUMBLING BEFORE DECAPPING "DOES NOT" PREVENT THE TUMBLING MEDIA FROM GETTING STUCK IN THE FLASH HOLES!

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THAT, LOOK IN THE LITTLE HOPPER WHERE YOUR SPENT PRIMERS GO! YOU'LL FIND A LOT OF MEDIA THERE AND ALSO, YOU'LL FIND IT STUCK IN SOME OF THE SPENT PRIMERS!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"NOTE: TUMBLING BEFORE DECAPPING "DOES NOT" PREVENT THE TUMBLING MEDIA FROM GETTING STUCK IN THE FLASH HOLES!
IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THAT, LOOK IN THE LITTLE HOPPER WHERE YOUR SPENT PRIMERS GO! YOU'LL FIND A LOT OF MEDIA THERE AND ALSO, YOU'LL FIND IT STUCK IN SOME OF THE SPENT PRIMERS!"
True, but if you tumble, then deprime, you eliminate the chance of reloading the case with media in the flash hole.
My procedure is tumble, resize, and soak in a solvent to rid the case of any lube. After completely dry I load as usual.

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done it both ways.
If you de-cap before you tumble, you will have to REMOVE THE MEDIA FROM THE PRIMER POCKET. I clean the case[s], then de-cap the cases.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for tumbling before decapping. As stated, you'll get tumbling media in the flash hole either way, so I just let the decapping pin remove it.

BTW, the media only sticks in about 10-15% of the cases, if that.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1) Size and decap
2) run brass through tumbler
3) check flash holes and remove media if needed
4) reload

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I deprime with a universal deprimer and then tumble. It's no problem removing the media from the primer pocket. That's when I give the cases a good looking over.

Plus they are clean before I resize.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Part of the reason to tumble/clean your cases is to prevent crud from going into your dies. I always tumble then size/decap. You can turn them onto a towel to get the dust off & away you go. I clean the primer pockets every 2-3 loadings by hand. Tumbling them w/o primers doesn't really get the crud out of the pocket.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate everyone's help a great deal. These forums can sure save a lot of horsing around with trial and error for the inexperienced.

Now I'm wondering if any of you can recommend an electric device to clean the primer pockets. I see one by VibraShine called a Power Brush/Cleaner. It says that "...a momentary light touch to the vibrating brush is all that is needed..." Anyone familiar with it?

Thanks again, guys.

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I tumble, then decap.

After resizing with lube, it goes back in the tumbler. Then I check the primer pockets.

If they are dirty, I clean them. If they are not, I check for media...

Alot of case prep like that can take place on the couch in front of the TV

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I deprime using the Lee die made for that purpose and then clean in my Lyman tumbler. Lyman also makes a handy 'poker' to punch out any corncob residue that remains in the primer pocket. Any cleaning of the primer pocket by the tumbler is beneficial, IMHO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I decap with a universal decapping die, then tumble in walnut media. After tumbling, I have nice clean cases to inspect for defects, and consider the small percentage of cases with walnut media stuck in the primer holes just part of the process. I've found less walunt media gets stuck than corn cob media, and I think it cleans the cases faster, too. I don't like the idea of grinding dirt into the sizing dies. I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax, so cleanup after sizing is just a quick wipe with a paper towel.
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tumble before I resize. The main reason is I don't want to cause excess wear or scratch my reloading dies with dirty cases. During some of my shooting (highpower) the cases can get pretty dusty. After I resize and prep the case I tumble again briefly to remove lube and other contaminants.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I lube, resize and in that process deprime, tumble in Pecan media (thus cleaning the primer pockets with no residual media because it flows through the primer pocket instead of hanging up in it like corn cob media). I hate to rub down cases, therefore the tumbling does my rubbing down. I do visually inspect every primer pocket before repriming. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do it the same way as Chuck White.

Scott

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest the same tool that I use!

The RCBS Trim Mate!

This tool Deburrs and Chamfers the case mouth, Cleans Primer Pockets, Cleans the inside of the case neck! There are also some optional accessories available!

Current price is $104.99 at Cabela's!

I really love my Trim Mate, it saves a lot of time, to say nothing of the cramped hands and fingers!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I decap, then hit the flash holes with a lee pocket cleaner and then tumble. That process seems to loosen the crud up enough to let the tumbling finish the job in the primer pockets. Then I poke out an occasional piece of media as they come out of the tumbler.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote