Find
Notify
Tools

Which Bullet for .257 Roberts?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted
Hi everyone, I posted this question in the Small Bore forum and thought I'd put it up here also:

I'm building a .257 Roberts on a pre-64 M70 action and was wondering what bullet you all would recommend.

My hunting would be "two-taco" desert mulies and (hopefully) antelope. My preference would be to find one load that would work for both and stick to it. I like to find one load that works for each gun and shoot it at everything.

My favorite bullets are Partitions and I know they make 100's, 115's and 120's for the Bob (and Federal makes a factory 120 NP load). Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

PS: In case it matters, my next biggest caliber is a .300 H&H that I shoot 200grn Partitions through.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I have shot a .257 Robt. since 1968. My suggestion for your kind of hunting, (read that Mule Deer and Antelope) is the 115gr. Nosler partition.

Best to you.

Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are not a whole bunch of .257 cal bullets available. My 1st choice would also be one of the Partitions - never mind which one, for the game you mention. Alternatively, you could try some of the bullets with less structural integrity - either a Nosler Ballistic Tip or a Hornady. Either will normally give you good accuracy, and would probably work fine for your purpose. In those bullets I'd probably stay with 115-120 grs, though.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JL-

I have played a lot with my Roberts. I have had good luck on whitetails with 117gr Hornadys. My best accuracy has been with Speer 100gr hot-cores. 100gr Ballistic Tips did ok. I tried 100gr Barnes XLCs, but my gun didn't like 'em at all.

I have also decided to come up with a "do-it-all" load; so, I just ordered some 115 Partitions to try out. I'll let you know how they work in my gun when they get here. IMHO, if the Partitions work in your gun, then they would be the best choice. - Gib

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First choice, 115 Partitions, then 100gr Hornady (very tough, 100% exits x14 at 25-06 speed). No luck with plastic tips. Have even failed to reach far ribs on a 125yd broadside from a Roberts on a 112lb deer. Ought to make a good prairie dog bullet in a 25-06.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
100 gr partition or heavier. If you opt for the 115/120 bullets go with a 1:9 twist, otherwise 1:10

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
I like 117BT Hornadys (47gr RL 19 @3000fps)and 120 Speer Grandslams-same load a little slower. I'm sure partitions will work just fine but I haven't seen the need, being the cheapskate that I am. Gotta luv that 257 BOB, I got two and I'm having another made as I write this.

Good luck!!

[ 11-04-2003, 03:52: Message edited by: RAS 323 ]

Posts: 113 | Location: NE PA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For giggles you may want to try some of the new Barnes Triple Shocks, they make a 100 for your 25.

My wife and I have taken 5 lopes and an elk with the 130 TS's out of my 270 this fall and they have worked great. Shoot great as well.

Just a thought.

The 100 Hornady has also been a long time favorite of mine.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Mine likes 100 grain Hot cores and 115 grain BT's.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use any 25 calibre bullet you want,'cause the bob really is flexible. I never used round nose bullets, because the rifle I had, had a short throat. Such a condition requires one to seat bullets into the power space(spitzers are a little more forgiving). That's the reason I advised you earlier to throat your rifle to accept a cartridgre 3.0".

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
117 sbt sierra, imr4064, this was the combo I used in my first bench gun, a rem mod 722, hunting bbl. The combo cut holes, at 200 using a lee bench rest loader. Does bring back memories. I still have that bob in the cabinet, I do think it is time for us to get reaquainted.

Posts: 56 | Location: Howard City, Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JLHeard,

If you want one bullet to take you from Antelope through elk using your 257 Roberts we make a 101gr EXP Groove Bullet that will do that for you. We had a customer shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yards using a 257 Roberts.

Don

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Gentlemen be realistic in your expectations of those long 1/4" bullets from the 257 Roberts or the 25-06. The diameter of the bullet has as much to with how well that bullet performs on game animals as the wight of that bullet. My view is the .308 diameter bullet is the quintessential diameter bullet and is the ideal diameter big game hunting bullet.

Any dedicated big game hunter has his favorite cartridge he feels is the right tool for the job at hand. The most important aspect of that mindset, is knowing your rifle of choice will pass that test through in the field experiences. Hunting bullets less than .308 in diameter must over come the fact that bigger is better. The wound inflicted by that small diameter bullet must produce the adequate amount of hydrostatic shock to dipatch the animal humainly. The fact is, in big game hunting, bigger is better when harvesting any big game animal humainly.

Those who choose to use hunting bullets with less than a .308 diameter will bellow and scream, "I have been shooting big game with that weight bullet for years." That may be the case, but it certainly does not make your choice of hunting bullets the correct choice. It is logicl to assume that shot placement may have as much to do with harvesting your quarry as bullet diameter. Those two facts are important, but hunting bullet daimeter will dramatically reduce the chance of wounding that game animal and not recovering that animal.

If you are a dedicated big game hunter, use the hunting bullet that will do the job with the least chance of failure. All big game hunters owe that to those beautiful majestic wild creatures God put on this Earth for us to use as we see fit in Genesis, chapter 1, verse 26.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shhhhh. Be vewwy vewwy qwiet. You'll blow my cover. It took me a long time to convince the deer on my walls that the "Bob Bullets" that hit them actually really really truly did kill them.
Hell, if they catch wind of rumors that one well placed shot from a 'bob' or .270 isn't enough to down a deer, they might just get a second wind and run out my front door.

Regards- Gib

[ 11-06-2003, 19:52: Message edited by: Gib ]

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies all! My dad just got back from a trip in Texas where he had great success with 100grn Partitions in a .257AI. I'll probably start with those and work up to the 120's till I find one that works. If none do (a really sad thought), I'll take a look at something else.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have used a .257 "Bob" for everything from coyotes to deer for about 15 years. I realize this is very limited experience compared to others, but can tell you that for deer and antelope about any bullet of 100gr. or more will work well.
I've not used enough ballistic tips on deer to speak ill or not of them as I have only killed one with BT'S and it was very dead very quickly.
My two bullets of choice now for the task mentioned are the 100gr Barnes X, and the 117gr Hornady.
As for Reloader66, interesting OPINION. There are an awfull lot of dead animals that make your stance a bit off balance!
I have taken deer with a .22-250 and up to .30 cal and there have been only two deer I shot twice.One was with a seven mag. The first shot was a very leathal quartering away, full penetration getting liver and lung. The second shot was broadside, full penetration and took the top off the heart as well. I was in shock that it didn't drop on the spot. The other was with a .30-06 and it was a poorly placed bullet on the part of a youth. Followed by a head shot.
Shot placement is the most important factor regaurdless of caliber. Bullet size does NOT make up for poor shooting! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well spoken Nate.Bigger is better may apply in the bedroom but as far as i'm concerned thats where it ends. What about faster and flatter.
My rifles range from .257 to .17 and they have ALL killed deer very dead.
Stepchild
JLHeard, I use 100gr.Sierra spitzers with excellent results.It's tits up, right now!

[ 11-08-2003, 23:03: Message edited by: stepchild 2 ]

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Try these in the 101 grain 257 cal.
http://www.groovebullets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=736

[ 11-09-2003, 23:56: Message edited by: POP ]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote