New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 Roberts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a 722 in 257 roberts several weeks ago and the seller threw in a box of 117 gr round nose Remington factory ammo. When I go to load it the bolt closes a liitle stiff like the bullet is up against the rifling. So I unload the cartridge and sure enough there are rifling marks on the bullet.

My question is:
is it safe to go ahead and shoot these cartritdges as is to fireform them or should I pull the bullets and reload with some 100 gn sierra bullets?

The seller also threw in some new 257 winchester brass, so do I need to do anything such as neck size it before I load them the first time?

Thanks,

RJS

[This message has been edited by RJS (edited 01-21-2002).]

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure they are factory. It is safer if the bullets are just a little off the rifling. No use ruining your rifle over a box of shells.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
In a 257 Roberts, factory loads are so anemic it probably wouldn't hurt to shoot the 117 grains as is - but it might be best to run them through your seating die and seat the bullets deeper until they clear the lands. I'm more than a little suprised they won't fit your chamber if you have a factory chamber and factory loads.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Are you sure the cartridges are "factory"?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Normally factory ammo doesn't come anywhere close to the lands, in a 257 Roberts.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
I think it would probably be OK to shoot them, but without seeing for myself how deep they are being set back by the bolt, play it safe and seat them deeper. If you have a dail caliper, measure them before and after chambering the round the first time and tell us how far they are being compressed. As for the new brass, I would full length size them the first time through, and then neck size if you wish. When you say "fireform", are you talking about forming in an Ackley Improved chamber? If so, shooting them with the bullet set into the rifling is fine to fireform the brass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses.

The cartidges are rem factory 117 round nose (similar to Norma 6.5 swede round nose or Hornady round nose bullets) that have the typical cannelure and factory crimp (was there when the guy bought them at the shop).

When I chamber one the bolt closes a little stiff and when I remove the cartidge the bullet isn't set back in the case but there are nicks in the bullet from being crammed into the lands. Won't this increase pressure somewhat? They will however fit in the magazine.

I made up a dummy round with a sierra 100 gn spitzer and seated it to 2.850 (sierra's COL spec of 2.775 for this bullet) and it was just touching the lands, also the gun has not been modified as in an improved chamber.

Thanks,

RJS

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
<frogman>
posted
RJS
I would give that gun a very good cleaning.A big dose of CR-10 wash it out with brake cleaner.light oil patch and a dry one.
Could have gunk in the chamber.
you may have some hand loads there.Check them out.

------------------
frogman