New
Find
Notify
Tools

55 grn. .243 loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has any one out there tried the 55 grn. Nosler balistic tip bullets in .243 yet?

Posts: 59 | Location: Soledad, CA USA | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
<SD Handgunner>
posted
YEP, I have shot about 500 of them in a .243 Savage Striker Handgun, plus some in a Ruger MK77RFP MKII Rifle. A lot of people told me the super lightweight 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip would not shoot accurately in the .243, but this has not been the case in the guns I have shot them in.

I have tried several different powders with the 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips, and 44.0grs. of Varget has been the accuracy winner, hands down. (45.5grs. is MAX according to the data supplied with the bullets, but 44.0grs. was more accurate in my guns)

When I started with this bullet I was trying to get it as close to the rifling lands as possible, and that just didn't work. When I seated my bullets deeper is when they startd shooting better. I ended up seating them so I had one caliber length of bullet in the case neck, and have been super pleased with the accuracy.

As for bullet performance, man they are super explosive.

Larry

<rman>
posted
I have used lots of the 55gr BT's in an old Carl Gustaf Varmiter...they shoot unreal. Just love em...they blow BIG holes thru coyotes...and crows just evaporate..love em