Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Bench Plans?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted
I realize this is a bit off topic but if there is a group that may have what I am looking for this is it.

Our shooting bench at the farm has finaly rotted away. Has any one out there got, or can reference plans for a bench they will share / recomend. We have a big pile of scrap wood and looking for some plans.

Thanks in advance!

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no plans - but make it about 2-3 times as big as first planned. mine is in a U shape and totals about 30' long, and is still full

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scout Master 54, I had a local machine shop weld some pipe fittings to 6x6 plate and used carriage bolts to fasten them to my table top. I went to Home Depot and got a half sheet of 3/4 particle board and had them cut it to my specs. They also cut and threaded the pipe for legs. Let me know if you need more info. My bench is portable but does weigh a bit.

Posts: 65 | Location: oregon | Registered: 09 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to build it out of wood as we have a lot of scraps and it need not be portable as we keep it at the farm for sighting in and load testing. I think the last plans we had came from shooting Times a long time ago.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Scout Master 54...

Good to see you back on the forum.. haven't seen you in a while.. one again, thanks for all the stuff that you sent me that you use on the Rifle Shooting Merit Badge.. it helped out dramatically at one of our District Fall Camporee events last year... and also at Cub Scout Day Camp over at the College...

Is this going to be a stationary home project or are you getting scouts out there to work on this.. just curious...

I have one that is much like my fellow Oregonian Bshooter described.. very stable but heavy...

I have been guilty of just using a folding 6 ft conference table in the back of a 5 x 10 trailer, that I tow behind my 4 Runner...works just fine in the open fields that we shoot sage rats out of....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made mine out of wood and pipe. Bought 3 bolt on pipe flanges and some pie for legs 2 Home Depot, (they threaded pipe) made a "T" out of 2 2x8's . Planed opposing angles on the 2x8's for the pipe flanges to make a tri-pod, carraige bolted. Then I carraige bolted a piece of 3/4" plwwood shaped like a traditional shooting bench to the top. I made mine fairly tall as shooting benches are always short for me

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "2" was supposed to be an "@"

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are some ideas that I've gleaned for a permanent bench.

http://www.horstguns.com/ShootingBench.htm

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the photo, will give that a try, that's what I am looking for.

Seafire - no this projects for me, our bench at the farm bit the dust and we need another. Deer season opens on Saturday so I need slap some thing together before the relatives get in. Glad the info helped with your Scout events. I have another big Cub Scout BB Gun program planed for this summer, expecting about 200 kids. I drop in the forum frequently read the postings always good info and help.

Thanks to all.