Find
Notify
Tools

Varget Volume in the case??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

I am just starting reloading 150grn heads with Hodgdon's Varget, I found the boundaries 35.9grn to 48.5grn with 150grn heads, and remington 9 1/2 primers online, and have looked at other listed loads online usually around 46-47grns.

I want to start low but if I load 36 grains of Varget into a PRVI .308 case then it looks a long way off of the bottom of the bullet. i.e. it is a long way down into the case well past the neck. Is this safe as I am sure I have read somewhere that reduced loads can be dangerous due to non-uniform burn rate?

Conversely, if I stick 48 grains of Varget into the same case then it fills it almost to the brim and is then presumably compressed.

My question is about the safety of putting 36 grains in and having it so far down into the case in relation to the head. Is this safe?

Thanks

Kyle

Posts: 59 | Location: Worthing, West Sussex, UK | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rarms:
My question is about the safety of putting 36 grains in and having it so far down into the case in relation to the head. Is this safe?
Thanks

Kyle

No problem at all. It is always good to start low, but very rarely have I found the lowest listed load to shoot very good at all in my rifles.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the airspace between the bottom of the bullet head and the powder is not going to be a problem?

Thanks

Kyle

Posts: 59 | Location: Worthing, West Sussex, UK | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted Hide Post
If you are following reliable reloading data there should be no problem at all. I also load for a .308 and some powders leave a lot more airspace than others.

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need more information!

Not sure what reloading manual you are using?

36grains of Varget would seem to be a very light load for a 150grain bullet...who's bullet? while 48grains is over loaded according to some sources.

Hodgdon has the following reloading data in their 2004 "Annual Manual" for the 308 winchester.

Winchester Brass
Federal 210M primers
24" barrel, Twist 1:12"
Trim brass: 2.005"
Nosler BT 150 grain bullet
Hodgdon's Varget powder:
starting load 44 grains= 2788fps @ 43,300 CUP
max. load 47 grains= 2929fps @ 50,300 CUP

As always, you should "work up" loads based upon reliable data...hope this helps you...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted Hide Post
It seems like he got the range from stevespages.

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somewhere around 45 grains should be right.Up or down in .2 grain increments.You're still some two grains below max.Lokk at the adi website under AR 2208. Star load 44 grains Max 47 Grains. 47 Grains is compressed.
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't put your trust in loads you find on the Internet. Invest in 2-3 different loading manuals from the bullet and powder makers and refer to them first. Its OK to read about what other people are loading, but don't take the loads or results as gospel. There is a ton of reliable information besides load ranges in those books.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
>Don't put your trust in loads you find on the Internet.

Hi there, I have looked in my load manual (Both Hodgdons paper and on their website) and from memory (I am at work atm) it says about 46-47grns max load.

However I wanted to start lower than that and some of the info I found online suggested it was ok to start at 35.9grns.

I was just worried that using so much less powder than the manual says which would leave an air gap in the case may be dangerous??

I do not intend to go above the 47grns listed on the Hodgdons Site. I am just unsure of using less powder!

Nowhere seems to say that a lot less powder is ok??

Thanks

Kyle

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
My reloading manual (Sierra) shows that with a 150gr bullet the MIN. safe load for Varget is 41.4gr. Not until you are loading very heavy bullets does the amount of Varget come close to the 36grs. you talking about. Don't do it..... There are special powders for reloading reduced velocity loads, look them up!!!!!!

You could develop either an overpressure or underpressure situation. How about a bullet in the barrel for the next time you pull the trigger. NEVER load below min recommended loads.

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me offer my advice. Do load testing with a chronograph. Compare velocities to published data. Compare against known values. You can have overpressure ammunition with rounded primers and no bolt lift resistance. But you can be very certain that if your velocities are higher than published values that your pressures are probably too high. However if you ever get pierced primers or bolt lift resistance, regardless of velocity, these are definite signs of gross overpressures indicators

I do not shoot 150 grain bullets in my 308. However I know that the 308 was developed to be a ballistic equivalent to the 30-06 with the 150 grain bullet. The 30-06 GI round was a 2700 fps round in Factory Pressure barrels. In rack grade Garands, the GI ammunition I have shot averages about 2650 fps or a little less. So, I believe that if your loads in your rifle average between 2600 fps and 2700 fps, then you are probably safe..

308 Winchester Load Testing with Varget

Temperature 87 F to 89 F
Chrony Master Chronograph

M70 bolt gun 24†Douglas Barrel

Mixed year LC cases, WLR primers OAL 2.800

Bullet Varget Charge Ave Velocity S.D. E.S. High Low Data points comment
168 Hornady 40.0 2459 15.74 55.83 2495 2439 10 Good accuracy
168 Hornady 41.0 2530 14.38 39 2548 2509 10 Good accuracy
168 Hornady 42.0 2602 20 65 2633 2568 10 V. Good
accuracy
168 Sierra 43.0 2660 15 49 2680 2632 9 V.good Accuracy
168 Sierra 44.0 2709 14 45 2735 2690 10 Excellent accuracy
168 Hornady 45 2757 15 55 2786 2731 10 Best group

Accuracy improved as charge weight increased. While I did not experience any sticky case extraction or pierced primers, I believe 45.0 grains is above max. I think a safe load should be between 42 and 43 grains. I later called Hornady and was told that they had pressure tested a 168 Match bullet with 42.0 grains of Varget. The pressure was 42,000 pounds (or so I remember). A similar charge of 4895 would be closer to 50-60,000 pounds. It is probable that Varget can produce equivalent velocities to 4895 or 4064 with less pressure. At least that is the impression I got from talking to the technical line.

I had almost one hundred Hornady match bullets left, so I decided to use them.I believe I would have gotten tighter groups using one type of brass. I had a bunch of sized, primed mixed cases and I used them. The groups are representative.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blast, I do not know how to edit these messages, but I had meant to add

"The following is how I did my load testing of Varget with 168 grain match bullets. It works for me. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating in the real world. I will take my developed loads and shoot them in matches. There have been occasions where I have developed loads, took them out to a rifle match, and experienced pierced primers during 90 + F degree weather. Well this happens, and all you can do is reduce the powder charge. Without good pressure testing equipment, you do the best you can with the equipment and techniques you have."

one of us
posted Hide Post
rarms,

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about the light load or air space with the Varget as the theoretical danger is not supposed to occur with powders faster than 4350. You also have more than half a case so a double charge is not possible.

Just work up a load that you like by refering to the manuals including the Hodgdon site.

You don't need a chronograph yet. Just don't get crazy with overloads thats all and stop at the first pressure concern.

I like 150's in the 308 and have always used faster powders than the Varget group but for now you have a good safe powder.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am developing a load for my BAR in .308 using Hornady 165SP and Varget.

My starting load according to the Hodgdon manual is 42gr of Varget. The sweet spot is around 44.5gr yielding 2670fps. It fills the case well without compressing the powder. The Interbond bullets give a tighter group.

Danny

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Rifle: Brno ZKK 601 308 Win
Bullet: Barnes TSX Match
Powder: Varget 46 gr
Primer: Win LR
COL: 2.88
Brass: Federal

2671 fps / 2696 fps / 2684 fps

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful ALF! The kind of group I dream about.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote