Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS .223 Expander ball?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted
I thought I'd try my hand at reloading for .223 so I bought a two die RCBS full length set. I sized and decapped the cases, but when I tried to start a bullet into the case mouth it wasn't even close. The bullets are 55 grain Hornady SP sized at .224. I pulled the pin out of the sizing die and I can put the expander ball through the case neck with my bare hands. Is this normal? I still can't get a round started into the case neck. What should I try next? Bad set of Dies? Thanks everyone in advance.

Job security for lead minors since 1984.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get your mike out and measure the expender ball and measure some of your bullets. The neck of the case should be .02 (or maybe .002) smaller than the bullet. Have you chamfered the neck of the cases?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
Ok, so I mic'd the case mouths. After resizing/expanding they mic at .2205 +/- .ooo5. That is with the decapping pin at the recommended 3/16" below die body. After chamffering I can get a bullet started, but it's a STRUGGLE to do so. I can't imagine getting more than a round/minute done after weighing my powder throw and then fighting to get that sucker started. It surely isn't supposed to be this difficult. I also tried adjusting the pin down further to run the case mouth further up the expander. This did not seem to help much. This is the second RCBS FL die set I have tried with the same result. Do I need small base dies? I can't imagine that making a difference. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never had this problem,what is the diameter of the expander ball? I have been using bushing dies for so long I don't remember what the ball dia. should be but I can check one when I get home. Also try measuring the neck dia. of a sized case before and after you have seated a bullet. Usually 2-3 1/1000's is enough.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bullet is supposed to be a press fit. There will be at least .001 interference. The press is required to press the bullet into the case neck.

Have you miked the expander ball? It should be .223 on the fat part of the expander.
The bullets should mike .224. Have you miked the bullets?

The expander should drag as it is pulled back out of the case necks.

Have you ever reloaded anything before?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The die should be adjusted until the resizer ball passes all the way through the neck into the body of the case. Sounds like, perhaps, you need to get a load book and read the intro to reloading section. Speed, especially if you're just starting out, isn't what you should be searching for. Concentrate on how well you can make ammo, not how fast.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the RCBS style of rifle dies the expander balle just about on the end of the decapping rod stem. The last thing is the decapping pin. You should set the decapping/expander ball rod just enough to knock a spend primer out case. The expander ball should be tight going back through the neck to expand it to the proper inside diameter.

One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention above the expander ball mics at .222. I've been reloading for awhile now, but only straight wall pistol ammo. I'm not too concerned with speed, just didn't think surely it would be that slow. I can tell by the tooling marks on the expander ball that it is not passing clear through the case neck. The case mouth stops dead center on the ball. It is punching out primers at my current setup. So is it a good idea then to set it as deep as needed for the expander to pass clear through the neck then? This will extend the decapping pin well through the primer pocket into the recess of the ram. Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:

Have you miked the expander ball? It should be .223 on the fat part of the expander.
The bullets should mike .224. Have you miked the bullets?

The expander should drag as it is pulled back out of the case necks.

Have you ever reloaded anything before?

Expander mics at .222. Bullets are .224. I've not reloaded rifle cartridges before. Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Start out by removing the decapping stem from the sizing die.

Adjust the die to contact the top of the shell holder when the ram is at the full up position.
Install the decapping stem. Size a case and leave the ram at the full up position. Adjust the decapped down until it pushes out the old primer and lock the jam nut.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Start out by removing the decapping stem from the sizing die.

Adjust the die to contact the top of the shell holder when the ram is at the full up position.
Install the decapping stem. Size a case and leave the ram at the full up position. Adjust the decapped down until it pushes out the old primer and lock the jam nut.

10-4 Thank You!