round for feeding, extraction etc. I will stick
close to the Barnes book on the 100 gr XLCs I will
use.

Thanks.
1B.

Posts: 51 | Location: Reston VA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like you have an excellent "flight school" going on. Don't worry about setting the shoulders back too far--as long as your die just touches the shell holder you won't push on that virgin brass.

After you've done your first firing set the die "up" from the shellholder about 3/4 turn and do a sizing. If the shell won't chamber then make small 1/16 turns of the die down toward the shellholder till they do chamber and you've just "custom fit" the sizing process to your individual chamber.

RL22 was an excellent powder for my 257 wby. I'm not sure what it is about the .257 but it seems to be one of the most inherantly accurate of the wby calibers---good luck have fun. Kraky

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1B I have found RL22 to be a good powder but RL 25 is even better in the 257 Wby. I have also found that my rifle delivers better accuracy with std primers. I also agree with you about not wanting to set the shoulder back.I would suggest you back the die out approx 1/2 to 1 full turn from touching the shellholder. This will ensure you are headspacing on the shoulder and not on the belt. Case life will be greatly improved.Kraky has the correct proceedure for setting that size die.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1B, they have given you GREAT advise. I have used the same ideas while reloading .270WBY, they work well. I eventually started using IMR 7828, but RL 25 should work just as well.

Where powder is concerned, slower is better in the Weatherby line.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded for a 300winmag with good results using re22.
As far as sizing, I use the Redding competition shellholders. After brass fired, they allow the die to touch shellholder, but not set shoulders back, or at least not too far. The set as several different thickness shellholders, so you find the one that works best in your chamber.

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote