New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roll crimp or Lee Factory crimp die?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

When reloading with two different bullets for my .375H&H yesterday, I started pondering whether or not to purchase a Lee Factory Crimp die.
Currently I use the crimp feature in my standard RCBS seater die.
But when using this, there's a lot of adjusting back and forth, and difficult to be consistent since I can't permanently lock the lock rings.

So, which die produces the finest crimp? The RCBS seater, the Lee factory die or any other dedicated crimping die?

If you experienced handloaders suggests the RCBS is best, then I'll stick to it. If the Lee is the better deal I'll buy it and permanently lock my seater; then I can use "total die length" to keep track of seating depth/o.a.l.

regards,
beefeater

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beefeater2

I use the Lee factory crimp dies and have found them to be very good. I think for the price its probably your answer, then you can just lock your seating die and forget about it.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Ditto MLG.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die on my 338 Win Mag and love it. I've locked my RCBS dies, and then use the Lee Crimp die to finish. Works great!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee is the only way to go, you will never ruin a case with a lee but you will with roll crimpers sooner or latter

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the thumbs up!

I'll buy one.
That test (by Saeed?) was very interresting! I've read Lee's claims about better accuracy, but I tend not to believe in such claims by a manufacturer. This test gives me another reason to try it!

Thanks again,
beefeater

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Hi beefeater

The Lee Factory crimp die substantially improved accuracy in my .375 H&H Mag, as well as solving the problem I had with bullets being pushed deeper into the case by my more enthusiastic loads.

They also work great with cast bullets by the way.

jpb
(thanks to Andrew375 who urged me to get one of these dies for my .375 H&H serveral years ago!)

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote