New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone sat down and tried multiple primers on the same load to deturmine how primers affect loads?

The factor I am interested in is peak pressure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Current issue of "Handloader" magazine....tests; charge weight,brass bullets,primers effect on accuracy and its in 308! You can subscribe on line for 20 bucks/all three mags! Darn good article.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The latest Handloader 308 article is the most comprehensive I have seen in a long time.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A much better and more scientifically run testing of primers can be read in the pages of Precision Shooting . The articles were spread over a few issues. I am sure someone at the magazine could tell you which back issues to get. The Handloading article was more in the way of a primer on primers, as it were. Of course both authors made disclaimers in regard to their work not being definitive.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted the same question on a couple different forums. I have been on those forums for a while and generally know who is full of crap, and who only posts about stuff they have real data for (or questions).

I always suspected the answer, but now I know for sure. I got contradictory information from people I trust. I have a feeling that depending on the age of the primer and the cartridge in question, you can't swap primers, period and expect the same results or lower pressures.

It apears that there is no shortcut to my load developent problem. I will have to take the time and do the work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddunn:
The factor I am interested in is peak pressure.

Are you looking for someone on this Forum to have peak pressure information, in CUP, from their own personal testing?

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it appeears that there is no shortcut to my load development problems. i will have to take the time and do the work.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm,

Like Yogi always said, when ya comes to a fork in da road, ya take it.. jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like meplat trimming or flash hole reaming or any number of things done by BR shooters (and a few others) primer substitutions often appear to make no difference to the general handloader.

There are several reasons for that. One is that factory guns have enough slop built into them that tiny changes in components and their tiny changes in performance are more than negated. Another is that these practices are cumulative in effect and when accomplished together make a slight difference in aggregate scores, which will not be seen by shooting a few 3 shot "groups" while varying only one factor, such as base to ogive bullet length or primer selection. How and where the firing pin strikes the primer is critical to performance, yet I doubt 1 in 10 handloaders outside the BR and other precision match community ever even checks primer seating depth or the size or weight of primers. I don't recall reading that the author did any of that in the Handloader article.

Additionally, primer compounds have changed since the definitive study was done by Frankford Arsenal and no one has wanted to pay for that kind of study again it seems. Probably the best thing to do is use one type of match grade primer for match grade ammo and stick with it. For all other loads I don't worry about the primers much, other than ensuring that they are seated at least .003" below flush, especially in load to be used in auto loading rifles and pistols.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ddunn,
Seriously P/U the magazine I mentioned earlier, you won't be sorry.