Notify
Tools

Elk hunt w/ 30-06. What Bullet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually I'd say quite a bit better performance as the A-Frame does not shed the lead from the front of the jacket like the Noslers do.

This is absolutely true, AND the reason WHY the Partition is so effective is because it sheds its' front core, as was intended by the originator of the bullet!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Stillbeeman are you trying to say that 30/06 isn't an elk rifle?
If that is what you are trying to say you are way off base. If you are having trouble killing elk with a 30/06 and ANY 180 grain bullet then a big bore or Magnum will not fix your problem and that doesn't matter if you live in elk country or come all the way out from back east.
The only cure for that kind of problem is more practice.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
180 SP should suffice. say 2700-2800 FPS.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Markhpb:
Hey guys,

I have been lucky enough to pull an Elk tag this year in unit 10 in AZ. I have been trying to work up a load with 165gr. Nosler bt's. I can't get them to group well. What other bullet would you guys recoment I try for this application.

Thanx,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Congrats on your elk tag. Everyone who has chimed in on your post is in agreement on a 180-200 grain bullet. I couldn't agree more. My Dad was an excellent hunter and an above average shot. He used 180's on everything from jack rabbits to mule deer. He never got the chance to get an elk. He died 20 years ago. It wasn't until I started reloading about 10 years ago that I began to unterstand the reasoning behind his theory of a seemingly heavy bullet in the 06. It just work for everything. He would load at the top end of the specs (not advised by me) and if he put the cross hairs on it it was game over. He shot Sierra Game Kings in his Rem 700. I don't think you can go wrong with the 180's in any bullet you choose. You'll have to figure out what your rifle likes. Dad used IMR 4831 and I still do today. Hope this helps.

Tony

Good luck on your adventure. Wink

Posts: 77 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 09 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom, I'm not saying that at all. I killed my first elk with a 30-06 and a 200gr bullet. If you looked at my first post, my suggestion for a 30-06 was a 200gr NP or Grand Slam. In another forum, I said the same thing and said 180's if you had to use store bought.
I made 15 DIY trips to WY elk hunting. On public land and killed 12 elk. 7 bulls. My best was a 5x5. None looked like the ones you see on the Visit Wyoming ads. But I'm satisfied. I killed them with a variety of weapons from a .280 up to a .338WM. I only shot one of them a second time. And it was unneeded but the bull wouldn't admit he was dead so I'd say my practice was up to snuff don't you think. You see, I shoot year around. Big Grin
The real question in the thread is what is a 165gr bullet gonna do that a 200 won't do better?