Find
Notify
Tools

.458 Lott from Hornady Basic Magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted
Have some Hornady basic magnum brass which I want to prepare for .458 Lott. Am assuming that case forming dies won't be required and think that I will just be able to run the basic brass through the full length sizing die.

Any problems with this and should I size, then trim to length or trim before sizing?

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You want to size the brass because it will be dented and dinged, then measure to insure that it is the proper length. I always trim after I size as sizeing can stretch the case. CHEERS

Posts: 124 | Location: CA | Registered: 19 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ditto Mzee......DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trim to length then resize.
Easy as can be.

Funny how nobody paid attention to this when Lott brass was in short supply, but now that Lott is available, people want to try it out.

Does that seen backwards or what?

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys. Backwards it may be, but my city's largest gunshop has had Hornady .458 Lott brass on order from the Australian distributor for over twelve months now, and still no information on when it will be available.

I was fortunate to pick up some overpriced Basic belted magnum brass from Aussie eBay - even this is as scarce as rocking horse shit.

Seems my only other option is to blow out .375H&H stuff.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote