New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 / RL 22 question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In trying to work up a load for a .270 win. I'm struggling with discrepencies in published load data. For example, the Nosler manual lists 56.5 gr RL22 behind either the 150 grain partition or Ballistic tip as a max load with something like 2900 fps muzzle velocity. The RL 22 posder guide lists 59.5 grains behind a 150 gr bullet- with the same velocity. who do you believe?

Posts: 54 | Location: Missoula, MT | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
John,

Funny you should ask--I was just shooting this load on Saturday...

RL22 59.5 gr. pushing a 150 grain Swift A-frame out of a 22" win featherweight.

3035 fps to 3080 fps with distinct pressure signs--beware! (flatened primers/mildly sticky bolt lift). Frowner

Accuracy was excellent, however (best 3 shot group was .5 moa). Big Grin

I'm gonna back off to 59 grains and shoot again.

Good luck and shoot safely!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both loads were right in the barrel/chamber used for pressure testing. There is no way to tell how either will perform with respect to velocity unless you use a chronograph.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Normally you can use just a bit more RL22 than H4831. 59.5 gr with a 150 sounds like plenty and the velocity backs this up. I think you'd be safe to start with the 56.5 grains though.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john h:
In trying to work up a load for a .270 win. I'm struggling with discrepencies in published load data. For example, the Nosler manual lists 56.5 gr RL22 behind either the 150 grain partition or Ballistic tip as a max load with something like 2900 fps muzzle velocity. The RL 22 posder guide lists 59.5 grains behind a 150 gr bullet- with the same velocity. who do you believe?

John, I understand the predicament, sometimes one manual lists a max load that is below another manual's min load... Go figure. Confused

Still, this tells us nothing more or less, than test conditions differ, and there is no way you can predict which load will be safe in your rifle. I.e. what ever manual you choose to believe, you won't actually KNOW until you have safely worked up a load in your own rifle. The one saving grace, a lot of data is developed in minimum chambers designed to give you pressure signs below where you can expect them in regular (sloppy) chambers and bores.

If it was me, I'd probably take the min load of the manual with the high max load, and just load 1 round for every grain up to the max load (59.5 grs). That way, you don't have a colossal outlay in components just to determine pressures are too high...

Good luck, and stay safe.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I've been loading 3 rounds in 1/2 gr increments from min to max, to find something that looks promising, then I bracket that load in .2 gr increments.

I think I'll work up to the RL22 published data-

If I really focus- I think I can see a chronograph in my future. :-)

jh

Posts: 54 | Location: Missoula, MT | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
59.5 Re22 in my Win. M70 with 22" bbl and 150gr. Hornady clocks 2947 fps. with no adverse pressure signs. I really like this powder with the 130 gr. Nosler.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
John:
The load I've come up with in my .270 Win. is 56.0 grs. of Rldr-22 with a 150 gr. Partition. From the chrono, I got 2885 fps corrected back to the muzzle. With this load, I get a consistant 1" group.
BTW, I'm going to begin working up a load using 150 gr. Northforks since I think they are a better bullet accuracy wise and just as good a performer as Partitions on game.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've started out with the Ballistic tips instead of the partition. Some kind of hazy logic based on a presumption of better accuracy - eliminate a variable from finding a load. I'll definatly move to either the partition (always used and like) or the accubond (never used, but interesting) once I've figured out the rifle.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Went shooting today and was loaded up with 5 different loads using RL22 in my 270. Will post pictures tomorrow (have to use the computer at work).

I like the 140 grain bullet so 3 loads were with the Barnes Triple Shock and 2 were with the Accubond. Also shot my usual hunting load which uses IMR4831.

TSX 140 - RL22 60 grains - 3167 fps
TSX 140 - RL22 60.5 grains - 3170 fps
TSX 140 - RL22 61 grains - 3178 fps
Accubond 140 - RL22 60.5 grains - 3160 fps
Accubond 140 - RL22 61 grains - 3186 fps
TSX 140 - IMR4831 59.3 grains - 3209 fps

No signs of pressure (probably just under max)

Accuracy was acceptable but not up to the gun's usual standards. Surprisingly, the Accubond shot as well as the TSX. Guess I'll load up the AB with the IMR4831 load and forget about all this RL22 stuff.

As promised

Without guns we are subjects, with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The highest velocity shown in the Nosler 5 for the 270 Win and 140 gr bullets from a 24" laboratory barrel is 3018 fps.

From Hodgdon it's 2979.

From Alliant it's 2930

So far in 52 years of handloading two club members have blown up guns near me with reloads. So far in 40 years of chronograph ownership I have found one chronograph with a defective clock.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote