Find
Notify
Tools

140 Hornadies and the 264 Win MAG?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Anybody use them? What is velocity and accuracy like? Performance on game? Any loads? Thanx

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I don't know about the 264 but in my 6.5x55 at 2450fps I got excellent expansion and penetration to 150 yards on hogs and one large mulie buck. The 140 spire point is my favorite 264 bullet.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used them twice at 264 velocities out of a 6.5 WSM at 3200 fps muzzle. I took an antelope doe at 304 yards. Bullet was found in rear ham. No bones hit other than a thin rib or two. Not much left and expected full penetration. Second was a coyote at 212 yards. He sat down looking for the caller. I put it on his shoulder on purpose. I got a 3 inch dished out hole and no exit. I feel they're too soft. It's a shame as I had the gun built and throated for this bullet. Thought an Interlock ring would do a little more than that.

For an everyday hunting bullet, I switched to the 140 Sierra SBT. I feel it's quite a bit harder than the Hornady, even thought it's a boat tail. I punched an axis doe at 72 yards with it. Got a quarter sized hole on the exit. Only one case though.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Man that is depressing! I expected a lot more from this Hornady!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
To be honest I am kind of disappointed with the performance that everybody has been getting out of the 264 mag and this Hornady. I have used Hornadies a great deal and I am surprised that these (264/140 gr) seem to be so "soft"! All the forums I posted this question on supplied pretty much the same "negative" results. Oh well!

one of us
posted Hide Post
They're cheap. You can try them, but I bought about 300 of them on a Midsouth special. The cannelures are in two different places varying from batch to batch. The antelope bullets was meant to be weighed, but my wife didn't think the kitchen table was a valid storage location and threw it away. I would guess it weighed 50 grains. All that was left was a star shaped jacket and maybe 1/8" of the base. This was the quartering on shot antelope with no bones. The coyote was the real determining factor.

Some fella posted and African safari post and he used 264 Win 140 Win factory loads and wrote that he slayed stuff up to and including Eland I think. I don't think he recovered a bullet, but I can't remember. For a money hunt I am using a Partition. There are several bullets out there, but I 'd like to see more premiums, like a Failsafe 140 would be pretty cool.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<kailua custom>
posted
Dear Pop,
I have to agree with Jesse. I actually get better results from the lighter 129s than the 140 Hornadys. Strange??? I keep the 140 Sierras[my personal favorite] going at 3120 or so and get great results. My load for 30yrs has been 74.3/H-870 for the 140 Sierra. I drop down to 72.3 for the 129 and the 125 Nosler.Seems with the H-870 the barrel life is good too. Have fun with a great calibre.
Aloha, Mark[in Or]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never had much luck with 140 grain Hornady's either.....I do like the Sierra bullet for accuracy and terminal performance however (my top velocity is around 3,160 using Retumbo and a 26" barrel).

Lee Martin
www.singleactions.com

Posts: 380 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Pop, I talked to, I believe it was a Sierra but could have been Hornady, rep around 15 yrs ago on bullets for the 6.5 Swede and was told that most American bullets on the market at that time in 264 cal were designed for the velocities of the 6.5x55 / 6.5x54 class cartridges.
From my experiance with the 260 rem, 6.5 Swede, and hearing others experiances with with them in large cased cartridges, I tend to feel it still holds true.The X bullet and a few other premiums should be exceptions.........

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
What is your Retumbo load?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any half boxes of bullets left over that we could start a "swap" program with????? I've got some 129 Hornady spires and maybe a few 140 partitions. Would be nice to get a few XLC's to try without commmiting to $30.

posted Hide Post
I tried XLCs (140 gr) out of my 264 WM and couldn't get the damn things to stop keyholing. My rifle is a standard twist for a 264 and I didn't want to increase the powder charge (H870)any more as the primers were starting to flatten. I got so frustrated I just pitched the remaining 10 I had left.

Posts: 17 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys.

I have in the past used 140 partitions exclusivley in my 264 westrener. My new ruger doesn't care for them. I used 140 sierras over a bunch of rl25 for the ruger last year. While I got a nice buck; it wasn't the results I think it should have been. I took a quarting shot away from me on the bucks left side. The bullet went in just behind the left shoulder and litterally destructed when it slammed into the right shoulder. The deer went about 150 yds before it piled up; with a half a heart. I think I'm trying something different this year.
You guys say the hornadys are no good huh.

turfman

Posts: 133 | Location: Pa\Nj | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote