New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 win 200 grain AB
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a box of 200 grain nosler accubonds to load in my 338 win. I've always loaded 225 and 250 grain bullets and got pretty good accuracy. 2 inches at 100 yards at least. I've always used IMR 4831 for all the 338 bullets. I loaded all 50 bullets... stupid me... with 73 grains of IMR 4831 and CCI 250 primers. Groups are probably 6 inches. Is it more difficult to get decent accuracy with the 200 grain bullets because of the rifle twist, or is it a problem of using possibly the wrong powder. I pulled all the bullets and am now debating on trying another powder. Also, a couple of the plastic tips came off the bullets while pulling the bullets. I just threw the bullets away, but there shouldn't be a problem with reloading them with new powder in the same primed case, should there? I neck sized the cases after pulling the bullets. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
50 rounds

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try another powder. I've shot many Speer and Nosler 200 grain bullets without a complaint.
Try some RL 19.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Rel 19 with 200 gr Hornadys, and they are great.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ckemp:
I bought a box of 200 grain nosler accubonds to load in my 338 win. I've always loaded 225 and 250 grain bullets and got pretty good accuracy. 2 inches at 100 yards at least. I've always used IMR 4831 for all the 338 bullets. I loaded all 50 bullets... stupid me... with 73 grains of IMR 4831 and CCI 250 primers. Groups are probably 6 inches. Is it more difficult to get decent accuracy with the 200 grain bullets because of the rifle twist, or is it a problem of using possibly the wrong powder. I pulled all the bullets and am now debating on trying another powder. Also, a couple of the plastic tips came off the bullets while pulling the bullets. I just threw the bullets away, but there shouldn't be a problem with reloading them with new powder in the same primed case, should there? I neck sized the cases after pulling the bullets. Thanks.

Don't thrown the bullets away,,,,, send them to me please, I'll pay the postage.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't throw all the bullets away. Just the couple that had bent white tips. Am I right about just neck sizing the cases again and reloading the bullets I pulled using different powder?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I right about just neck sizing the cases again and reloading the bullets I pulled using different powder?

You should be o.k. if all else is in order. Set the O.A.L. so as to function reliably through the magazine. Do not start with a maximum load!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My nosler book show the minimum load of RL19 to be 72 grains. I'll start there. According to the manual the best accuracy was achieved using 72 grains as compared to the max load. I imagine it might be different for different rifles, but is that probably the norm that accuracy is better with the starting load?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have often been acused as being a little to agressive when I reload, But unless you are very familiar with your rifle , I would start a grain or a grain and half under max.
And keep in mind ,if you are using a different make of case, or a different primer you preassure could go up or down.
While in my opinion you are unlikly to have a catastrophie, you might , and it is quite likly that you will blow a primer or somthing and have to start pulling bullets.
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had the best groups ever with my .338 with the 200 gr. Nosler ballistic tip with 66.0 gr. of RL-15. That is a max. load, with Win. brass and Fed. 215 primers. Groups are between .25 and .50 inches at 100 yards, velocity is a little over 2,900 fps. RL-15 should be a reasonable powder to try with the AB bullet also. This seems like a fast powder for the .338 but it shoots great. I normally use RL-19 with 225 gr. bullets and RL-22 with 250 gr. bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I was going to buy a pound of RL19, but with the results of the last post and 200 grain bullets, maybe I'll try the RL15. I'm not going to purchase the powder until Monday, so if this would be a bad idea let me know, although .5 inch groups sound good to me. I know my rifle might not like that powder, but honestly I'd be happy with 2 inch groups. I'd hate to think I wasted money on that box of nosler accubonds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that's the bullet you really want to use, try as many different powders as you can afford. Those tips are for starting the expansion process, They won't affect accuracy, and can be used for sighting in and verifying accuracy.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should have added that in a previous Nosler manual they listed 65.5 gr. of RL-15 as the most accurate load for the 200 gr. bullets. In the latest manual they list AA3100 as the most accurate powder, and now say the most accurate load with RL-15 is 61.5 grs. Every rifle is different. My .338 is a Rem. 700 SS and likes the RL-15 load. Good luck with the load development. Let us hear your results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The store I usually buy powder from is all out of all alliant powder. I bought a pound of AA3100. I'll give it a try. Nosler said it was the most accurate of the powders they tested. It is a pretty slow burning powder for that bullet isn't it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
180 Gr. Bt shot .5 in groups in my Remington AWR.Twist seems OK for lighter bullets.What kind of Rifle & Twist???

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
180 Gr. Bt shot .5 in groups in my Remington AWR.Twist seems OK for lighter bullets.What kind of Rifle & Twist???

weatherby vanguard. I think it's a 1 in 10 twist.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good accuracy using varget in my 338wm with lighter bullets, 180 to 200 grain. You might get higher velocity with something like RL19 or I4350 though if thats what you are looking for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember 25 years ago when AR 3100 first came out as a surplus powder and you could get it in 8 pound jugs for $3 a pound. I used it for everything from 30-30 Winchester to 30-06 to 7 mm Rem Mag. You are not going to get top velocities from it, but I have never had an animal or a target tell me they noticed the difference, and I still use it. I am sure you will be happy with it.