New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 308 or 30-06?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When you're a young lad it is pretty cool to say 'my Dad got me an ought-six......

Mine started me with the .270, pretty cool too, since a lot of my buds had ought-sixes....I had something 'cooler'
The 30.06 is probably more versatile.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK guys .. here goes ..I purchased my 06 in 1957 for $14 from the NRA (03-A3) .. had it worked over for a hunting gun and have used it ever since .. load 180's as fast as they can go, and can shoot it all day on the bench with out any problems...weighs about 8 pounds with a 4x scope.. it's smooth, holds about 1" groups and is not too tough on the body .. EVERY 308 I have managed to try has kicked the krap out of me .. don't know why, but after 3 or 4 rounds I quit the experiment and returned the gun to it's rightful owner.. (maybe all 308's just don't fit me ) .. but I would put my money in the 30-06 for this reason alone.. .. my 2 cents / MPB

Posts: 45 | Location: NorthCentral PA - USA | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can load either down but the 30-06 will be more powerful if necessary. So I suggest it as the ranges can be quite long in the Rockies.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See below for my choice! I also have, and love, my 308.That said, get him a 7-08 and when he elk hunts get him a 30-06. capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote