Find
Notify
Tools

Mag primers for everything?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
Primers being difficult to come by, I was thinking of using WLRM primers for everything from 7.62x39 all the way to 375h&h because I have a lot of WLRM primers.

I know it can be done with .308 Win and up, by starting over with load development and watching for signs of pressure. Anyone know if it can be done with 7.62x39?

I'm loading 7.62x39, 308, 30-06, 270, 300 win mag and 375h&h

Anyone try this?

Reason being, I have plenty of WLRM primers and very few Fed 210 or WLR primer.

Thanks.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If thats what I had thats what I would load with.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If thats what I had thats what I would load with

tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Ok! That's promising.

Anyone use mag primers on .308 '06, 270 or similar? How much, if any, did you reduce the load? Anyone have any figures on what the pressure differences are using mag primers vs std rifle primers?

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have used Mag primers in standard calibers when using slow powders & heavy for calibers bullets but am no expert. If you use them with lighter bullets & faster powders I'm not sure it would be a big issue but pressures may peak a little quicker.
I have been buying primers faster than I use them for a long time so I don't have to be faced with this yet.
I know a lot of people don't think they get the same accuracy out of mag primers.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell, there is definitely a brisance difference between standard and magnum primers. Now, having said that, I read long ago in a Rick Jamison article I believe, that the difference is roughly equal to one grain of powder. I would back off one grain of powder and try the same loads I shot before, assuming they aren't at the very top of the scale.

Good luck, and let us know!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Does anyone here know what "brisance" means?

Anyway, my standard procedure in load workup is, if I'm not quite satisfied with accuracy, to try a different primer. I have never had any issues arise in substituting any type of magnum primer for regular primers in rifle cartridges with no change in powder charge. I've done this with things like 270 Winchester, 30/06, 357 Herrett and many others.

In fact, at one point I tried large rifle magnum primers in a 44 Remington Magnum. In that instance, I had to back off 1 to 1.5 grains of powder.

As far as accuracy goes, most of the time you will not get in improvement in accuracy by using magnum primers. This even applies with ball powder. In some instances, a magnum primer will improve accuracy as it did with my 357 Herrett loads.

In addition, a couple of years ago, there was a long article in Handloader magazine in which various components were tested in 308 Winchester loads with Varget. When the variable was primers, CCI 250 primers (i.e., large rifle magnum) provided the best accuracy and there wasn't any adjustment for powder weight in that test.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
brisance is a like a power rating.
magnum primers either have a longer burning mixture [more of the same mixture] or a hotter burning mixture.

i use sr magnum primers in some of my small case loads such as the 30 carbine and the 25-20 more often than i do in larger cases.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use mag primers for all my hunting loads. IF I get a great deal on reg primers vrs mag ones I will buy them and use them in plinking loads. I use mag or benchrest primers in my 204Ruger. In 223 on up I use mag primers. All ball powder gets a mag primer no matter the use of the cartridge. I load for all those you spoke of and a total of over 35 different rifle/pistol rounds.
Never had a problem even at max loads.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
by all means use them with a reduiced load. right now primers are not my problem. powder is. if all i do is hunt with my hand loads. i have enough stuff to last me and my family reloading for about 8-10 years.

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mag primers work especially well with Ramshot ball powders.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote