THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to "rehabilitate" a very dirty barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have jsut found out that my hunting buddy cleans his rifles by using a few patches soaked with Hoppes and that is it. No jag or brush has been used on these barrels for years. He shoots 3-4 inch groups routinely with factory ammo and is frustrated when going to the range with me. He is now asking me to assist him in improving his accuracy by working up handloads. I think that we need to first start by cleaning his barrels.

Any thoughts on the best way to get such a barrel clean would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks for any advice that you post.

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
<bearmanmt>
posted
Ron,
Check out my post to your question on gunsmithing.
The Bearman

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron L:
I have jsut found out that my hunting buddy cleans his rifles by using a few patches soaked with Hoppes and that is it. No jag or brush has been used on these barrels for years. He shoots 3-4 inch groups routinely with factory ammo and is frustrated when going to the range with me. He is now asking me to assist him in improving his accuracy by working up handloads. I think that we need to first start by cleaning his barrels.

Any thoughts on the best way to get such a barrel clean would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks for any advice that you post.

Outers FoulOut III

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I had a buddy with a 300 wby. He pretty much cleaned it the same way. I told him one night after bowling how he "had" to bring it to my house and I'd show him how terribly fouled it was. Guess what--I don't know how but the damn thing barely had a copper streak in it. You'll know how much cleaning it needs after getting the fouling out. You can't beat sweets for that!

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I did my father-in-law's 240 WBY that had been treated like that, last Fall. I used Flitz and CR10, and it really wasn't too bad. Took about an hour and a half. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote