New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Black Brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The finest steel wool you can find, it will not eat brass away.

Posts: 78 | Location: Harrison, Maine | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

BTW, I use a 50/50 mix of walnut and cob...cleans and polishes at the same time.

Bet ya learned that trick the same way I did

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

BTW, I use a 50/50 mix of walnut and cob...cleans and polishes at the same time.

Bet ya learned that trick the same way I did

Rick

Me too!

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bad boy, Bad.

Try fine Bronze wool instead. Steel wool can leave small bits of steel embedded in the brass (one of the cartridge collectors turned me onto the bronze wool trick for cleaning brass)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Crimp_me
posted Hide Post
I was kinda looking for a liquid to soak them in. I usually load 5000 rounds at a time for the AR15. That would be to much time spent with steel wool. I use walnut in my tumbler. Maybe its time to change it out.

Posts: 83 | Location: Lapeer, MI | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sanman, Fjold...

I'm thinking so.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take the least labor intensive route.
Use IOSSO case cleaner and never look back.
It will leave your cases sort of dull but you can brighten them right up again by tumbling.
No handling and no scrubbing.
Just soak and rinse.

-Spencer

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
To clean the brass- hot water plus 1/2 cup white vinegar plus squirt of dish soap. Swish around and let dry.

To clean corncob media- tear some strips of paper towel, 1/2 to 1 inch wide and toss a couple in with the media when you tumble. Don't ask me how but it will clean up most all of your junk. You can take them out but I just leave a couple in there and add some extra cleaning compound, whatever you want to use.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote