Find
Notify
Tools

Flyers !!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted
Im having a problem with flyers in my new rifle. Before I go into the particular's about the loads, I have scope question. When you adjust the windage or elevation alone, should the other one move?
I have never noticed a scope doing this before. Ive noticed this one do it twice. Nikon Monarch 2.5 x 10

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
No, they should move independent , up down, left right. try another scope.
Then you can chase all the other flier causes

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornThe answer is NO unless the scope is not properly horizontally and vertically mounted, or just defective to start with. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To add another possible cause of above problem.
If you shoot with a cant this could result in an apparent change in elevation with a change in windage and conversely.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
The more I look at it the more I think its a scope problem.
I tried a new load toady. 54.5 gr. of IMR-4350 with 180 gr. accubonds. It shot a 1.5" vertical string of 3. The group was 2" to the right. I adjusted the scope to the left only. I shot another 3 shot group. 2 were dead on vertically but now 1.5 low. The other was off to the left but low also.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Never been a fan of Nikons since a friend bought a "refurbished" one. My first question to him was "what was wrong with the original furbishment?" Think about it.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be incline to agree with Bartsche. What sort of bench set-up are you using. And, the question needs to be asked, how good are your bench skills? Also, you're only shooting 3 shots. That really tells you very little. Some scopes take a couple of shots to settle in at the new setting.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I shoot from a sturdy table. Rifle in a Lead sled type shooting rest.
I have a .375 H&H that shoots 1" groups off this setup and a .223 that shoots 1/2" groups.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thunder Head:
When you adjust the windage or elevation alone, should the other one move?

Yes by all means it can. If your scope has had the windage and elevation adjusters set centre i.e. same number of turns in and out or up and down respectively then this will minimise the movement of the one adjustment when setting the other. Scopes I've seen apart, image moving or reticule moving, have the adjusters working directly on the circular reticle or the circular lense mounting frame therefore as you adjust up or down the bullet impact can also move left or right and vice versa. It is possible to have 'flats' on the frames to allow one adjuster to move without affecting the other but the range will naturally be limited.

I'm talking of older scopes here, maybe they have changed in later years to do as other posters here have said?

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
well I think its fixed.
It seems to have been a two part problem. I noticed the screws holding the receiver to the stock were not tight enough. I could turn one of them while holding the short end of the allen wrench. I called ruger and they gave me a inch pound value for the screws. I borrowed a torque wrench and tightened them. This shrank the groups. They were still 2-3 inches and alternating vertical to horizontal.
I put a different scope on today. Point of impact dropped a couple of inches on the second shot and then leveled out. 6 out of 8 shots were within a 1" group with 4 touching each other.
I think ill keep this load with the 180 grain Accubonds and 54.5 gr. of IMR-4350. Should make good Moose/mtn. goat medicine.