Find
Notify
Tools

reloading equipment
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gabriel
posted
All right guys, how about good dies for 300wsm and a magnetic scale? i read the rcbs 505 is pretty good. what else do i need? besides a press, cases, primers, powder, bullets and manual?

Survival of the fittest? That's just natural selection.

Posts: 117 | Location: ND/United States | Registered: 14 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A press, calipers and a case trimmer and a chamfer tool.

I am sure I am missing something.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy the RCBS Rockchucker reloading kit. Dies, shellholders and components, that will be all you need to get started - it includes a manual.
Here's a pretty good deal on the RCBS kit:

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?contentID=productDet...y=475&prodID=RC09357

I started with this basic setup 31 years ago and I'll never wear it out. I've also recommended this to a couple other beginning reloaders who have report that they were very glad they started with it. Some will recommend that you save a few bucks and buy a Lee kit, others will recommend you spend far more and buy a CO-AX press and individual components. I think both are a mistake. I've worn out a few Lee products as they are not as well made as RCBS products. The Co-Ax press is probably the best press made but the RCBS press will do a few things that the Co-Ax won't and even if you later upgrade to the Co-Ax you will find the RCBS press still usefull.
Redding dies are probably the nicest made. RCBS dies are a good balance of price, quality and warrantee. Forster dies are pricey but have some nice features. I don't particularly care for Hornady or Lee dies, both have good features but are not as well made.
Later on you'll want to add a dial caliper, something to trim cases and all sorts of other goodies but I firmly believe the best overall start to reloading is with the RCBS kit...................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the rockchucker kit, and it has served me well. However, if you have any idea that eventually you may want to go the super accurate route, you may want to consider the wilson/sinclair hand die reloading kit. It can be purchased in the same ballpark money wise, and in the end I think you may come out ahead? It really all depends on what you think you may be doing a few years down the road, if your like me it will be an addiction!! Not trying to sway you one way or the other, but do yourself a big favor and pick up a sinclair catalogue!! Just food for thought,
Cdog.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gab, the very best advice you've read is to get a reloading manual first. I like the Lyman for the most info on the techniques of loading. From that you can figger out what you will need to get started.

What BRAND of gear? Well, fact is, non of our makers produce bad stuff, it's all worth what it costs and sometimes it's even better.

I'm not an equipment snob so my bench has selected items of every maker around, choosen not because of the brand but the design and its function. But, you won't go wrong with any of it.

The "better stuff" used by real accuracy bugs requires custom rifles and tight chambers to realize the euipment's value. If you shoot a factory rifle you will do as well as possible with conventional - less expensive - reloading tools.

The best "bang for your buck" will be with Lee, especially for their newer "Classic Cast" press. It's all iron and steel, as well made and durable as any competetor's, at a greatly reduced price. (The excellant Bonanza "Co-Ax" press is in a class by itself but it's also expensive over-kill for your needs. IMHO.)

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote