New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 reloads, compressed loads?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi All,
I'm new to this website, have a couple of questions. I just started reloading .223 for my V-match rifle. The only other cartridge that I have ever reloaded is my 300 Win. Mag.

Using the latest Lyman manual, I looked up the loads for .223 Remington using 50 grain bullets and IMR-3031 powder. (I'm at work now, so my numbers may be off by one grain) Anyway, I believe the range of powder was 20.5- 25.5. I loaded 6 rounds at 23 grains, and 6 rounds at 24 grains of powder.
Here is the question. Next to the 25.5 grain load, being the max powder charge, it had a plus sign indicating a compressed charge. What exactly is compressed?? Both the 23 grain and 24 grain charge was compressed enough that you can't shake the loaded cartridge and hear any movement. Even with 23 grains, it was about 3/16 of an inch from the case mouth. The manual stated that you should have a minimum of 1/10 of an inch. By the way, my brass is Winchester, once fired by me, full length resized with RCBS dies and definitely NOT over-trimmed in length. I used my case length trimmer to shorten to specified trim length. I then double checked against several different factory loads, and was exactly the same. By the amount of bullet being inserted in the case, and the distance above the powder, I would call this compressed, wouldn't you? Also, I tried the max load, it wouldn't fit in the case even while tapping to settle the powder. These loads were all measured on my powder scale. I trust the scale because when weighing bullets, they are exactly what the box says. For instance, if the box says they are 55 grain FMJ, I can weigh these and it is within 1/10th of one grain.

For accuracy, I have only fired them at 25 yards, but I fired an 11 shot group, 10 made one hole measuring 1/2", with one shot going 1/4" outside of that. I'm trying at 100 yards later today.

Thank you, sorry I rambled on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Compressed to me, is when the bullets get harder to seat.

In .223 with stick powder [IMR4895] when I seated 55 gr bullet over 28 gr, the bullet would get stuck in the seating stem.
There was a burr on the chamfer.
I spun the stem and de burred it with steel wool.
Now I can compress load until I hear the stick powder crunching.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hello BushmasAR. Belated welcome.

What you're experiencing is not that uncommon. I've seen the same thing with the 223, as well, using R-P, W-W, and Federal GM Match and Premium cases, ie., loads, even less than max, is some instances, of various stick-type powders not fitting in the case. 3031's long skinny sticks exacerbate the condition, but, it's a good powder for the 223, so you almost have to live with it.

To me, a compressed load is ANY load in which the bullet compresses the powder to any degree when seated to whatever O'AL I'm using. Obviously, the degree of compression will vary, based on O'AL you're using.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks R-WEST,

I am also going to try some AA-2230, a lot of people keep telling me that they have good results, maybe the ball powder will help with the compression problem.

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon Benchmark is fine grain, and almost looks like ball powder, without the problems in extreme temperatures. Benchmark is low density too, might not have to compress it as much.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WW748 is also an excellent powder and meters well.
Peter.

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just loaded some 23 gr and 24 gr IMR 3031 loads last night for the .223. I didn't notice any compression on the 23 gr load in WW brass. The powder was actually about even with the shoulder/neck junction of the case. 24 gr was half way up the case neck and 25 gr will probably be even with the case mouth. Speer #10 says you can get 26.0 gr of IMR 3031 in a WW .223 case.

Even though I have never used one, I believe a long drop tube is supposed to allow the larger charges of powder to fit.

I have these 55 gr Rem HP's loaded to 2.32" OAL, but I am using them in a Handi Rifle with a long throat and no magazine. The bullet base is about even with the case shoulder/neck junction.

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BushmasAR, I have used the .223 for several years and have found tht H-335, W-748 and Benchmark are all excellent....I would probably start with Benchmark first...25.5 grs. with 55 gr. bullets and 27.3grs. with a 40gr. bullet is what Hodgdon recommends....Benchmark is a stable powder, meters very well and velocity is about as high as any other powder.....H-335 is what I use for P/Dogs...

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Chris Jamison
posted Hide Post
You guys never heard of Varget???
26.5 grains of Varget under a 50 gr Blitzking is the S#!**....

Posts: 168 | Location: Memphis, TN, USA | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
WOW, thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses I'm getting. I loaded more of the 3031 last night, (24 grains) under some Nosler BT ballistic tips in 50 grain. I am weighing each powder load, so I am not using any drop tube. I'm weighing it, then pouring from the scales tray, throught the funnel and into the case. I did find that if I tap on the funnel a few times after pouring, that it would settle about 1/8" lower.

Thanks again. Kevin

Edited to add;- BTW, after shooting these loads at 100 yards, I shot four groups that measured between 5/8 and 7/8 of one inch. Also hit a 12 ounce soda can several times at 168 yards. Farthest we could get at the time, measuring with a laser rangefinder.

posted Hide Post
WOW, thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses I'm getting. I loaded more of the 3031 last night, (24 grains) under some Nosler BT ballistic tips in 50 grain. I am weighing each powder load, so I am not using any drop tube. I'm weighing it, then pouring from the scales tray, throught the funnel and into the case. I did find that if I tap on the funnel a few times after pouring, that it would settle about 1/8" lower.

Thanks again. Kevin

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I loaded up some 223 last night, W-W cases. 26.5 grs. Varget through a 6" drop tube settles nice, and with a 55 gr. Winchester PSP seated to 2.25" oal, it is not compressed.

25.5 grs. of Benchmark, 50 gr. Speer TnT @ 2.28" oal, has lots of room, and makes for a nice 3300 fps in my 22" barreled LV SF m700

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tod,
By the way, that wolf has quite a pair

BushAR

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bushmasar--Using the Lyman 47th Edition Manual, 55 grain bullet in .223 it says 748 powder--start at 26.4 and max of 30.0(compressed)it goes on to say the pressure with 30.0 is 43,400 which is very low. You had to work at it to get 30.0 grains. Listed pressure being so low,I did not cross reference which I usually do. Most cases would not take 30.0 grains and certainly not a flake more. With such low pressure,I didn't think overcharge possible. WRONG!!! My rifle locked up and it required a gunsmith remove barrel. Primer pocket on said case was blown out---severe signs of over pressure. After the incident--I cross referenced and Speer says 24.3 to max of 26.4 same powder. Lyman does say use magnum primer and I was using standard. I don't think that was problem,as there was no unburned powder??? Don't know??? The Lyman 48 edition does have the max listed at 27.8 and lists a pressure of 49,600.(less powder and lots more pressure??)---Had the 47th listed pressure that high,I would have cross referenced.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote