Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS or REDDING
 Login/Join

posted
Which press would you guys suggest for reloading both rifle callibers and some low volume pistol callibers

RCBS Rockchucker
REDDING Boss
REDDING Big Boss

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Tazmaniac I'm sold on Redding equipment, dies especially, however I use a Co-ax press. If I were to use a different single stage press I'd use the Redding UltraMag.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine you'd be dissapointed with any you listed and to make things worse, RCBS now makes a bigger Rock Chucker like the big Boss, for about the same price.
Just thought I'd throw that in to confuse you.
Thanks, huh?
All are great and you won't be missing a thing with any of them, it justs boils down to if you want or need the bigger opening.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
get the press with the largest area for the shell length. The reason is if you try to load 300 weather b mag. with redding comp die set, some presses dont have enought room.

[ 10-11-2003, 21:10: Message edited by: 243winxb ]

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Use one of those for rifle, but for pistol you need a turret (Like Lee's) otherwise you'll get REAL tired of screwing in and out the 3 dies needed.

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tazmaniac:
Which press would you guys suggest for reloading both rifle callibers and some low volume pistol callibers

RCBS Rockchucker
REDDING Boss
REDDING Big Boss

.....For normal length...less than 378Weatherby and similar type shells the RCBS ROckchucker will work great.....as the other post state in the Redding you would have to go to the UltraMag press to beat the RCBS..imo....my Rockchucker is 25yrs old and still going strong....the Forster Co-ax and the Ultra Mag are getting into the ultimate top end normal presses with special features that are only needed/used by a small percentage of reloaders and vary in details that aid/speed up the process of reloading.......get you some good sturdy case holding trays for your pistol calibers esp to let you perform a single stage of loading and keep the cases seperate while you do that stage...size-expand/pwwder/seat bullet/crimp...ect. the good blocks really help in the later/powder filling stages.....enjoy the looking and good luck and good shooting/loading!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do low volumes, but really try for accuracy with the rifles: .222, .223, .243, 25acp, 257 Roberts AI, 6.5x55, 7x57mm, 32acp, 32sw, 32S&WLong, 32-20,
7.62x25mm,30-30, 303Sav, .308, 30-06, 7.62x39mm, 303Brit, 7.62x54R, 8x57mm, 9x19mm, 9x23mm, 357 Sig, 38 sp, 357 mag, 38sw, 40sw, 10mm, 10.4mm, 44 mag, 45acp, 45Colt, 452/70, .410, 20 ga, 12 ga, & 10 ga.

The main press is Rockchucker, and it handles the heavy resizing.
 -

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 243winxb:
get the press with the largest area for the shell length. The reason is if you try to load 300 weather b mag. with redding comp die set, some presses dont have enought room.

Huh???

Perhaps you're thinking of the Forster Co-Ax press.

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
May I play the devil's advocate? Pistol reloading does not need a big press, either from the standpoint of strength or leverage. Remember that compound leverage ultimately gets its strength from extra length of the handle throw. All of the presses you list are long throw, compound leverage, and have much more ram travel than needed for pistol. What I did was go to a gunshow and buy a new-in-the-box RCBS Jr. press. It has a short throw on the ram, it has a short lever throw, and the head of the press is really beefy for a relatively small press. They quit making them years ago, but you can find these on e-Bay for very reasonable prices or at a gun show. Use something like this for your pistol reloading, it will save your arm and last forever. Use the money saved here to buy another big press for the big stuff. Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote