THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impressed with RCBS APS Priming Tool, but....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Saturday while browsing at our local gunshop I chanced on a very slightly used APS Bench mounted priming tool going for R500. Everything was included - scads of strips, a shell holder, the strip loader, the works. The previous owner had bought it all, couldn't set it up right and brought it back a week later and bought a Lee Prime tool instead.

So I snapped it up and less than 1 hour after getting home I was filling strips and priming brass. Very neat but there are some niggling issues RCBS should address.

Those with an APS might agree and will know what I am referring to.

They should include:

More spare plastic bushings small and large (looks like an item that will wear or can be graunched and eventually require replacement)

A sturdy little plastic box to hold the spare priming rams, Allen keys, bushings and the transport mechanism stopper (for want of a better description). This should attach to the base of the tool for neat storage - there is plenty of room for it.

What on earth is the function of the elevated shelf above the feed ramp?

And how does one remove the priming ram short of using a strong magnet to lift it out so you can remove the shell holder?

Why did they design a tool that cannot be fitted flush with the bench? The lever with all the holes in it for the handle hits the bench before the correct priming depth can be reached. I drilled the holes before I found this out and had to make up spacers to lift the tool off the bench.

C'mon RCBS a little engineering work in the design phase can save a lot of heartache. I wasn't impressed with the hand priming tool.

Cheers

Pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Contact RCBS.

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
I don' have an APS System, I use Lee'a hand held Auto Prime BUT RCBS has one of the best Customer Service groups I have ever had the pleasure to do business with. If any one will listen they will.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,
Get your local gunstore to order the CCI/APS strips already loaded and color coded. They should cost roughly the same money as the same primers without the strips. It is a very handy setup. IMHO.

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Mr_Magoo>
posted
Pete, I LOVE mine.

I have not had all the problems you did.

More spare plastic bushings small and large (looks like an item that will wear or can be graunched and eventually require replacement)

I agree with you there.

A sturdy little plastic box to hold the spare priming rams, Allen keys, bushings and the transport mechanism stopper (for want of a better description). This should attach to the base of the tool for neat storage - there is plenty of room for it.

I guess so, I just keep that stuff in my tool + die drawer.

What on earth is the function of the elevated shelf above the feed ramp?

I think it is a safety feature. Kinda like a blast shield designed to keep the lawyers happy.

And how does one remove the priming ram short of using a strong magnet to lift it out so you can remove the shell holder?

I lift the handle all the way and remove the shell holder, then lower the handle and remove the plug. The handle has to be all the way down to install a plug. If done properly, when the handle is raised the plug is retracted completly inside the housing.

Why did they design a tool that cannot be fitted flush with the bench? The lever with all the holes in it for the handle hits the bench before the correct priming depth can be reached. I drilled the holes before I found this out and had to make up spacers to lift the tool off the bench.

When I mounted it on the bench, I worked the handle before I drilled so I knew to mount it by the bench edge. [Big Grin]

I bought it because I am a klutz! My fingers don't work well on small things like primers. The strips I can work with no problem. Priming in now a joy.