New
Find
Notify
Tools

what is the best bullet for My AR-15?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a new S&W M&P and have been using 60 gr. horady HP & V-max, and nosler 60 gr balistic tip bullets but i heard a rumor that 60gr. bullets are not heavy enough.... what is the best?

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who don't"
-Thomas Jefferson

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 62 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 30 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What twist?

Posts: 95 | Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth area, TX | Registered: 12 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael.tx:
What twist?

AND what are you wanting to do with it?

Target shooting, hunting varmints, personal protection [in the house, outdoors], stretching the 223 and shooting deer???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
homer ...Oops forgot a bit, 1 in 9 twist and i want it for mostly hunting yotee and a little target shooting. I just want a good all around bullet.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who don't"
-Thomas Jefferson

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 62 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 30 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester 55 gr Ballistic Silvertips shot very good in our AR 223 Precision guns.

We were all suprised at how well they shot at 300 yards on aper next to our Accuracy International 308's. the AR's even shot very well with that ammo to 700 yards...

For varmints the Ballistic Tip is a hard bullet to beat...

If you do not reload the Hornady V Max loaded by Black hills is hard to beat as well.

For serious penetration:

Federal 62gr factory Trophy Bonded Bearclaw bullets, or, 223 factory loaded with Nosler Partition bullets.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 60s are plenty for what your doing. I shoot a ton of .223 and for the most part shoot 55 and 60 ball but allways keep some loaded with 60 vmaxes for when i want to get serious and some with 60 partitions for self defense and even for shooting deer sized game.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want fur-friendly then try 45 grainers

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote