New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which press
 Login/Join

posted
Gentlemen

I've been bitten by the reloading bug. I need your recommendations on equipment to start out with. It will be used to load .308 Win, .375 H&H, 300 Whisper, 44 Mag and 454 Casull initially. I have bought and read several manuals (Honady, Speer and Lee)

I have been considering the RCBS Rockchucker but my local reloading supllier also recommended the Lyman Turret press.

Which do you recommend?

Pmc

one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
No question, go with the Rockchucker. Turret presses are inherantly weaker, they work best on pistol cartridges. The Rockchucker can handle the big sizing job easily.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
<David>
posted
If you get the Rockchucker, bet the new model. The original will work, but you will have to tip the cases and angle them in when seating bullets on anything based on the full length 375H&H case. The new model can handle the longer cases much better.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Rock Chucker

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pmc, consider either the Forster CO-AX, or the Redding Ultramag. For %50 more money, you get 100X the press, NO JOKE.

The CO-AX does away with shell holders, and is as strong as an ox. Ultramags rule according to those who have them.

Judging from some of the cartridges you list, it sounds like you want one tough press; these are the best presses going. They don't sell a lot of these because they are cheap, it is because they are smooth, tough as nails and easy to use.

Quality up front will pay dividends in the end.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dillon AT500, only because it will be a godsend once you get to loading lots of those short pistol cases. I have no experience with any Lyman press. I guess if there were such a thing as the 'loading press hall of fame' the Rockchucker would be inducted first.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
for rifles go with the co-ax; but since you are loading hand gun ammo, get the dillon AT 500 first and then the co-ax later. i have used the co-ax for the past 11 years and can't go back to threading dies in and out of the press, and constantly fiddling with the adjustments.

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote