Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new leloader here need help
 Login/Join

posted
Just started reloading not long ago and i have lots of questions.first i don't know what powder to use. my two main bullets will be 22-250 and 30-06.i made and shot some 22-250 with varget and that didn't turn out to good.what is the best way to choose my powder for these two bullets.what should i look for when looking at the reload data in order to choose the right powder thank you

Posts: 9 | Location: northern new brunswick | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

I would start by purchasing a few good reloading manuals. Generally, they will have the powder with the highest potential for accuracy marked in some fashion. Typically, the referenced powder is in bold type. From there I would start at the minimum recommended load (or maybe one higher then the minimum) and load up about 6 cartridges. Go to the range and shoot two 3 shot groups letting the barrel cool down between shots while examing the brass for signs of excessive (or insufficient) pressure. Document the results and decide if you have to vary the load. Also, a chronograph is very useful piece of equipment that is necessary to calculate the ballistics of your chosen load.

While I am new to rifle reloading myself (about a year) I find it very rewarding and I was able to develop some fantastic loads that my rifles shoot extremely well.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Jim NRA member

Posts: 74 | Location: Southwest Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The more you tell us, the more we can help you.

What rifles and you loading for, and what bullets are you putting in front of that varget?
What do you plan to hunt?

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wwjmbd
posted Hide Post
What bullets have you tried?

Varget has been a very good 22-250 powder for me but you may be shooting bullets that your rifle doesent like. When I first started reloading I was loading for a 22-250 and I was having trouble even getting close to the accuracy for factory loads in the first 100 rds I loaded, all of a sudden I tried hornady 55 gr spsx and IMR 4064 and had ragged 1 hole groups. Before that I had tried some of the newer polymer tipped v max and b tip bullets and my rifle just didnt seem like them, not with the powder I was using anyway (I forget what powder I was using but I didnt buy any more when it was all gone).

IMR 4064 and H380 are a couple of powders I would recomend trying in the 22-250.

How do factory loads group out of the same rifle? What kind of rifle is it?

Dont give up, just keep trying different bullets/powders till you find your load, it will be fulfilling when you do.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kevin--Tell us what bullet weights. For 30-06 with 150 grain bullets 4064 has worked well for me.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Any 22/250 I have experience with likes H380 and 50 to 55 grain bullets, seems like a match made in heaven.
For the 30/06 180 grain bullets and IMR 4350 goes together very well but you need to tell us more!
What are you currently loading what was wrong what are you going to shoot with your loads and what do you expect from them?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a 22-250 remignton 700 sps.I was buying winchester 50 grain ballistic and they were working very good for store bought.i had a friend that has been reloading for 30+ year he was in compition shooting up to 1000 yards give me a crash coarse on reloading and we reloaded some bullets that were shot in my gun and it's unreal how good they shoot.I can't ask him what he used because he is gone to africa to work.right now i have hornady 52 grain a- max and br2 primers and varget and also some w-760.for my 30-06 i have 150 grain nosler e-tip.my gun is remington 700 bdl.i have new redding dies for the 30-06 ,full length and neck size.i want to only neck size because these are shells shot from my gun.when neck sizing do i resize the whole neck or half or 25% ect...and what powder do you think would be best?also 300 win mag i want to make a bullet for moose and also one for deer .what do you recomend thank you very much for the help!!!!!!

Posts: 9 | Location: northern new brunswick | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my load for the 22-250:

Win Brass
52gr Sierra Match King
38.5gr w760
Winchester mag primers.

Dad 700 like it a little hotter, his load is basically the same, but closet to max.

In the 30.06 Snellstorm hit it. IMR4350 is very hard to beat.

If you want to shoot everything with one bullet in the 30.06, and like Nosler, I'd suggest either the 165gr Accubond, or the 180gr Ballistic tip. Either one will kill anything from mice to moose.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all, I don't load for either of the 2 cartridges you mention but....
When I start loading for a cartridge that is new to me, I usually start with the "Accurate Load" listed in a load manual. This means I use a bullet from a manufacturer that has a reputation for accuracy. I usually start with a load in the Sierra book using their bullets/load combinations. If Sierra doesn't have the bullet style/weight I want, then it's usually the "Accuracy" load out of the Hornady book. Just start at the min. listed load & work up.
Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kevin, in response to your 300WM question, I am a born again believer in working up one load and using it for everything. Which, IMO, for the 300 is a 200gr Partition. I've never shot a moose but I've shot elk, mulies, whitetails, and antelope with that bullet and it works. I've also used 200gr Woodleighs and Grand Slams with great success but they seemed a little hard for the smaller deer and antelope.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote