New
Find
Notify
Tools

.38-55 WCF Looking Fro Load Data
 Login/Join

<Mike Weber>
posted
I have a couple of friends who are looking for load data on this cartridge. One of them is shooting a replica Ballard single shot. The other is shooting an old Marlin that he inherited. So the loads must be safe in older firearms. The guy with the Ballard wants loads for punching paper.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Just found this.

Recommend Lead Heads 249 grain PB cast with 18 grains H4227. This is the same as the Lyman 375249 so that would work as well. In fact, I think that you could use the 265 grain GC cast bullets with this load. As always start 10% low and work up.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Mike,
I use alot of IMR 4198 in mine but it is a later model 94 (Chief Crazy Horse). Might want to do a search on shooters.com (cast bullets).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 38-55 in a 14" contender, love it.
19gr of H4227/245gr bullet from leadheads/WLR primers. Easy shooting, accurate load.

have fun
Wes

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Those Lead Heads bullets are great quality aren't they? Some other suppliers are very uneven in their quality.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote