New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lead Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an almost new .458 Win Mag and have so far just shot Barnes X bullets in it. HOwever I have some Lead Head Bullets 300 gr. made by a guy in South Carolina who goes to alot of Gun Shows. Are these lead bullets going to hurt my barrel by clogging the riflings? And what cleaner should I use on the barrel if I chose to use the lead bullets? Thanks, Mike

Posts: 917 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooting lead is a whole new game. I suspect those 300 gr pills will do poorly for you, best go with something closer to what weight you normally shoot. Cast lead bullets need to fit right to shoot well and not lead. You want at least 1 thou. over size .459 or .460. You must be sure you have removed ALL jacket fouling before shooting them as it will lead to leading. AA5744 is my choice for reduced cast loads in big cases, its bulky and does not need a filler. Get a Lyman M die to bell your case mouths slightly so you can seat bullets without shaving lead. That said I have a mold for a .460 420gr FNGC that I used for a 45-70 I no longer own that I would be willing to part with if your interested.

Posts: 1520 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Four Tails - You have recieved good advise so far. I really suggest you got to the graduate school for cast bullets at the cast bullet room at http://talk.shooters.com

Not only will you learn how to shoot with no leading at factory plus or minus velocities, you will save mucho dinero.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote