Find
Notify
Tools

Herc 2400 and Alliant 2400
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Been burning the old Hercules 2400 and is almost gone. Have a couple of pounds of Alliant 2400 to work on next.

Anyone notice any significant difference between the old and new stuff ... beyond lot to lot variation?

Thanks,

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I didn't see any difference.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

That is a good question. Most everybody says the newer 2400 is a little faster than the 0ld 2400.

However some report no differences...

I am still using 2400 I bought in 1993. shocker

You guys do not laugh... I am using Unique I bought in 1981... Eeker old

Both powders still push the bullet out of the barrel... Most of the time. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2,

I do understand. I think the old 2400 is that old ... just abt out of it though. I have green dot, herco and unique that old. Still burns fine.

Best to rechrono some test loads before doing a full run of subs I think.

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well it might be a while before I need to worry about it, I just opened up an 8#'er from '93 myself, and am only using it in cast revolver loads. So far the heaviest charge has been 16grs.

I might grab up some of the newer stuff to be there when it's gone though. Never know how the folks on the hill might change things.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
Guys,

Been burning the old Hercules 2400 and is almost gone. Have a couple of pounds of Alliant 2400 to work on next.

Anyone notice any significant difference between the old and new stuff ... beyond lot to lot variation?

Thanks,

mstarling, I have noticed no difference. I have gone through the same change as you very recently. The difference from lot to lot is still there, so buy in bulk and have fun!

Hank

Posts: 83 | Location: Saudi/Bahrain/Texas | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With Quote