THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: HELP! Newbie confused about bullet selection

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: HELP! Newbie confused about bullet selection
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted

Were you actually shooting groups, measuring them all and averaging them to come to this conclusion? Or just "plinking?"

Jon A, unfortunately for me, I do not have enough spare time to plink, I love shooting and wish I had more time but when I go to the range, I go with a purpose each time. My results, quite frankly, even surprised me. But that's why I was there. To test loads, groups, drifts, etc.

Now let me make clear: You and I are on the same page with the 200 Accubond and BC's. I back you 100%. If I were to grade my preferences on the 2 bullets, it is triple shock = A+ (excellent) and Accubond 99.99% A+ excellent. In other words, almost the same. But my personal experience with the triple shock thus far is that it is SO easy to get to shoot well, with minimal effort. The Accubond grouped excellent as well but it is a bit pickier for which fuel you stuff behind it.

Now, beyond 400-500 yard shots on a REGULAR basis...I'd opt for the Accubond hands down.

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
The common old bonded core Woodleigh 180 or 200gr Protected Point bullets would be the first ones I reached for, and I doubt very much I would have to look any further.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Except they aren't commonly available where I Live. More's the shame.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
markb, You have achieved overload yet again!!!!

You know what they say about opinions. The which is best question will stir it up every time. There are valid points made for the many different offerings.

Point is you're asking for a bullet that will cover a big velocity span, used in a mag for deer sized game. The 300 WM up close will make a mess if the frontal dia of the bullet gets big quick so the advice to use X bullets is good. At longer ranges and lower velocities the rapidly expanding bullets work good.

Keep in mind the animal size. Your rifle will be fine with most bullets. Pick a bullet based on what is the most common shot. Knowing how the bullet will work up close or at long range should determine where you aim. If the bullet you choose is "soft" then shooting into the shoulders up close is foolish, where the same bullet will go through the shoulders at long range. As always shot placement is the most important factor! Even the "cheap" standard bullets will work when used within the design specs.

Most real failures you read about I believe are the result of using a bullet outside its design window. ie: light, thin jacketed bullet going really fast out of a mag because the velocity #'s look good. OR really heavy, stiff bullets not going fast enough! The ballistic tips, sst, sierra, core-loc, interlock, ect. are great at standard velocities. A standard bullet out of a mag at long range will perform the same as a '06 with the same bullet at closer range.
I have had complete pass throughs with the reportedly fragile Sierra Gameking on Mule deer. Knowing the bullet and considering the situation should determine shot placement. Are you jumping them out of their beds? Stalking? Most shots at deer are well inside the 100 yard mark for the majority of hunters. For that reason, and the size of the case you've chosen, a heavier bullet or a stiff construction bullet would probably be the best choice.

More practice is the best way to improve bullet performance at long range!

Notice above I said REAL failure. Most of the stuff you read that turns to trash talking is grossly exagurated. This internet thing can be a great way to gather info. but can also start to bring discredit when it's undeserved.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote