THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Hornady InterLock for Elk -- Your Thoughts?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted
If you've used any of the large-caliber InterLock bullets on elk, what were your experiences/results and what caliber/weight were you using? What was your shot presentation and distance?

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Doc in Texas>
posted
Russ,I have taken 4 elk with a interlock,165gr. out of my 300winny. But just today my oldist girl took a 104lb.Buck with one,and did it work. but the last elk I took was last year and it work great,The shot was 189yds.and into the right shoulder and exited the left ribcage right behind the left peak of the shoulder,he ran/fell and 4to 5 yds. the other 3 where about the same one shot and they went down with in 10yds.of being hit. the longist one was 290+yds. and he went down like a ton of rocks.

Now i am using the SST bullet and it is working great took a hog about 5 weeks ago and it went nowhere after getting hit. I broke my hand right after that and haven't been able to hunt for my self.

Hope this helped

Doc in Texas

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 140 gr BTSP's out of my 270 going 3000. I have found that most of my shots are between 175 and 275 yards that I can remember. All of them fully penetrated even through shoulders.
One 6 pint I shot at 15 yards was broad side. These never went through but the bull went down hard. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I use the 180 grain spire point in my 30/06. I use 56 grains of IMR 4350 & a Winchester primer. It's a good accurate load & have had no problems in taking elk with it here in Colorado. I've never looked the bullet during the cleaning of the elk----Too much work to worry about the bullet--It did it's job.

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used 180 gr spitzers in a 30/06 without any problems. At 30/06 velocities these bullets hold up well. The cor lokt bullets that remington offers,is nothing but an Interlock made by hornady in the vast majority of times. You'd have to be pretty lucky to get one of these 180gr bullets to explode at 06 velocities.

If you're looking for a bullet that will hold up under magnum velocity all the time,I'd stick with a failsafe. The worst I've seen these bullets do,is lose pettles and bulge out the lower half of the bullet. The Barnes x bullets,also work their best at magnum velocity,since the violent impact at these speeds makes them open up wether they want to or not.

When it comes to the .338 and .375,you may be shooting a belted magnum case and magnum may be printed on the barrel and case. But you sure as shit aren't producing any stellar velocities and as a result the hornadies do real well. The 250gr .338 is real good and I've yet to recover bullets even when shot the length of a bull elk.

You'll hear raves about the partition and it's a good bullet. When compared to todays premiums,all you're getting is a borderline premium at full premium prices. Partitions come apart just like non premiums when shot at high velocity(3000 and above). I've seen plenty of 180 gr partitions fail to exit on elk and even deer,when loaded in 300 mags and propelled by full house loads and these weren't angled shots,they were broadside shots,that encountered bone out to 300 yards.

If you really want a bullet that will hold up and shoot well under true magnum velocity shoot a failsafe.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Russel.

I took a cow with a 200 grn Interlock out of my 358 win. Threw one shoulder the other ribs...stopped under the hide...perfect mushroom. I have taken a couple hogs same results.

I likem alot.