New
Find
Notify
Tools

225 gr. Woodleigh in .338 Mag.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm considering using the Woodleigh 225 gr. bullet in my .338 Mag. for moose & elk. I've always liked the Nosler partitions in other calibers but want to try something else for this. Has anyone used these on elk/moose size game and how did the bullet perform? How was your accuracy? How about your powder & charge weight? Of course I'll double check any load info with the books. Any & all info would be appreciated. Bear in Fairbanks

[ 07-11-2003, 00:21: Message edited by: Bear in Fairbanks ]

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello, Bear.

Hopefully someone here can tell you about the 225 grainer. I have only used 230-grain FS and 250-grain Nosler on moose, and always with great success. I don't plant to use the FS any longer because I don't want to place Molybdenum on my rifle's barrel, and have switched to 225-grain XLC.

I have handloaded 225, 250, and 275-grain A-Frame bullets, and for some reason all have been very accurate from my .338WM. However, I have not killed moose with any of the four, including the XLC. I have been experimenting a little with the XLC, trying to find an accurate enough load, and the last step will be seating them over .050" off the lands to see what happens.

I imagine the 225-grain Woodleigh should be as good as the 225-grain A-Frame. I friend of mine killed a grizzly with an A-Frame (one shot at approximately 170 yards, I think).

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
In my 338 Win I use 250 Grain Hornady RN with Reloader 19 @ 73.0 and Fed M215GM Primers in Fed Prem Cases. Excellent load for everything in Alaska.

North Pole, AK

[ 07-11-2003, 06:29: Message edited by: Alaska Bush Man ]

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips guys. Will probably look into those as well. Best of luck for the upcoming season. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I have used the 225 PP woodleigh in 338 win and it worked fine, it's a bit softer than the swift and will mushroom quite a bit. I never had any trouble with separation or fragmentation even it was close range shoots. I regret that i sold my old sako 338 [Roll Eyes]

I like the 250 grainers in any 338 caliber [Smile]

/ JOHAN