Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7-30 Waters Handloads
 Login/Join

posted
I have been shooting 7-30 Waters in a 14" Thompson Contender for several years now. The 120 grain Sierra Gameking from Federal is a nice round and it seems to just kill the shit out of a deer. What I have wondered about is loading a Ballistic Tip of the same weight and a little hotter. I think I could improve my accuracy at extended distances and well, the Ballistic Tips also seem to work very well on the deer from my rifles. I just don't care for the flat nose on the Federal round. I've even bugged the people at Federal about it. I understand the whole tube feed thing for the 7-30 Waters, but there are a lot of people shooting this round out of Contenders.
Any thoughts on this?
Another question is about finding someone to reload. Is liabilty such an issue that people don't reload for money? I don't reload and don't shoot enough to take the time. I need someone to load this round for me, but I can't find anyone in my area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At one time, the Federal cartridges for the 7-30 used to be loaded to max, 2700 fps out of a rifle. You can't do better by handloading at sane pressures, especially out of the wimpy TC action.

I have nothing against the ballistic tips for that application, but the ballistic coefficient isn't going to make an iota of difference at 7-30 ranges.

Reloaders reload because we enjoy reloading as much as we enjoy shooting.

Let's pretend I'm a commercial custom reloader preparing a bid to reload 100 rounds 7-30 for you (and 100 rounds would probably be the minimum order). $30 for dies, $20 for bullets, $10 for powder, $2 for primers, $20 for brass (just a guess), $5 for an ammo box, and 2 - 3 hours labor at say, $20 per hour. Your 100 rounds would cost you around $120 dollars -- plus shipping.

If you ordered more, the price would go down, but you probably wouldn't order more, since 100 rounds would last the average non-reloading deer hunter a couple of lifetimes.

My theoretical commercial reloads would be strictly right out of a reputable, pressure-tested load book, so they would not exceed factory ballistics and might not even match factory ballistics.

Google "custom, reloading" and you will find some sources.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Find a buddy who reloads and buy him the dies for about $25....then spend a night loading with him. Popenmann is right on the money when he says the bt wont give an edge in BC at normal hunting ranges.
But, hey get some dies and have some fun...also you know you can form the brass from cheap 30-30 shells right??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ps///sierra makes a 130 grain single shot pistol bullet for the 7-30 waters....its dynamite accurate and perfect for the cartridge.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote