New
Find
Notify
Tools

350 Rigby data?
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
I have my mind pretty well set on this somewhat esoteric round. Reamer, dies and brass aren't a problem, but a perusal of my Speer, Nosler, Barnes and A-Square manuals didn't provide any published data.

Case capacity appears to be very close to the 358 norma, and there is plenty of data for it. I also plan to load to milder pressures.

If anyone has seen a load manual or a handloader article on this round, it'll be greatly appreciated. I'll have to swing by the library and see if it is in the Big Bore Rifles and Handloading book by Wolfe Publishing.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Paul, you need a copy of the February 1997 issue of Handloader, No. 185. Ken Waters did an article on loading for three obsolete Brits: the .318 Westley Richards, the .350 Rigby and the .375-400 H&H. If Wolfe can't help you out, let me know and I will mail you a copy of the article.
A sampling of his top loads: 225 Nosler partition, 60 grains RE15, 2511 fps; 250 Hornady spire point, 64 grains IMR4350, 2450 fps.

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Thanks for the response, I'll have to check my stack of Handloaders, there is an offhand chance I have that issue. If not, I'd greatly appreciate a copy of the article,

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Paul, if you can't find it, e-mail me your address and I will get a Xerox to you.

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
225 grain bullet...54.0 to 59.0 IMR-4320
250 grain bullet...48.o to 53.0 IMR-3031

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Handloader's Digest 1996 is a lengthy article on the 350 Rigby Magnum in an original Rigby rifle by Colin Greenwood. He used Nobel 0 Rifle Powder for his efforts, a powder which has apparently been discontinued, and which I never saw here in the States (Greenwood is British).

He says, "An alternative load which has given excellent results uses 70 grains of H380 behind 225 grain Woodleigh bullets in either solid or softpoint."

A Dave Campbell of Toklat Arms, Eagle River, Alaska, is said to use .375 H&H brass with the rims turned off and trimmed, and, "...reports using 48 grains of IMR-4064, Federal 215 primers and 250 grain Hornady spirepoint bullets."

He also indicates that proper bullet diameter is .356 inches in his original Rigby rifle. He used 225 grain Nosler Partitions, presumably in .358 diameter, and 225 Hawks, with no diameter specified. Hawk may make a .356 bullet. He does not write of any pressure issues associated with the use of .358 bullets, but he was only attempting to equal, not exceed, original Rigby loads.

A pre-war ICI ammunition catalog listed several varieties of 225 grain jacketed bullets at 2635 fps. Since the .35 Whelen can easily push a 225 grain bullet to 2635 from a case with much less powder capacity, I'd have to conclude that the Rigby cartridge is designed for relatively low pressures. That being the case, even if the bullet used is .002 too large in diameter, my speculation is that a factory equivalent load may not generate enough pressure to make a significant difference.

Even with the relatively low sectional density of its 225 grain bullet, John Taylor wrote approvingly of the cartridge and it's application to non-dangerous African game in his "African Rifles and Cartridges".

If you can snag a copy of the 1996 Handloader's Digest at a gun show or other source, you'll find it quite interesting reading.

All the best in your endeavor,
BigIron

[This message has been edited by BigIron (edited 01-19-2002).]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We need to resurrect this thread. I'm loading some 350s now and I have seen some other threads regarding the same. Pretty old though....

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigIron:
In Handloader's Digest 1996 is a lengthy article on the 350 Rigby Magnum in an original Rigby rifle by Colin Greenwood. He used Nobel 0 Rifle Powder for his efforts, a powder which has apparently been discontinued, and which I never saw here in the States (Greenwood is British).

For the record and anyone reading the aforementioned article by Colin Greenwood, Nobel 0 powder is exactly equivalent to H4350, or AR2209 as we know the Hodgdon powder in these parts, when used in a 7mm-08 at least. I used to use Nobel 0 in my 7x61S&H and found it exceedingly accurate, had some left when loading for 7mm-08 some years later and used it interchangeably with H4350, 47.0grs either powder with a 140gr bullet produced 2900fps velocity and very accurate grouping.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Suggest, Paul, that you send Cal Pappas a PM as he loads for a 350 Rigby No. 2 and should have up-to-date loads for the 225 gr bullet.

I had a 350 No. 2 for many years and used IMR4895 with it. Could never get the likely exaggerated factory-claimed velocity, but at between 2400-2450 it did very well on large antelope or zebra. Before I traded it away for an H&H double in .300 flanged magnum, I was working up a load using IMR4350 that was promising but might, ultimately, have had to be compressed.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote