New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem. 700 PSS,,,,,,223,,,,,,,,,
 Login/Join

<Roger 4>
posted
I own several 223s just picked this one up new,,out of the box,,,so far I've ran around
60 rounds through the barrel,,shoot and clean
method,,,,and this little puppy just want shoot,,2" at 100yds. best yet.
I pulled the stock checked for something out of the ordinary,,none found. Torqued the
action screws to 60 inch pounds,,after having
reassembled it in the H.S Precision stock.
Tried several hand loads with different rounds,,still 2",,,.I have noticed that the bore just want clean up very well from get go
,,Cooper just loves to cling on and on,,,thought about lapping the bore a few strokes with the ultra fine "White" grade
diamond polishing compound ,,but I've read
lots of negative thoughts on that now,,,as I'm sure lots of you have to,,,,never seen one like this before. Seems I read that these
barrels are Stainless,,then matte finished ?
anyone know?,,any thoughts on what might work would be appreciated,,,thanks,,,Roger 4
PS,,this is not a Scope or mount problem,,
already been through the whole 9 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have for a while shot factory class benchrest with a PSS .223. It has been a very accurate rifle (for factory). It has averaged .5" 5 shot 100yd. groups for a long time, and was capable of the .25" group on occasion. (perfect conditions, with flags) It is now starting to throw them around, and my smith scoped the barrel and said it was toast. I have one more match I need to shoot with it this year, but it's not gonna cut it. But even with a worn out barrel, it will still easily shoot under 1" groups. You say you have checked everything mechanically? It could be many things, but maybe just a bad barrel. (by the way, it's not uncommon for factory barrels to be copper mines). One thing though, I'm always amazed how the little .223 gets pushed around by the wind. Are you shooting over wind flags from a good solid rest? Add in some mirage... well you know how it goes. Still, If you have considered and eliminated these variables, and it is a new rifle, I'd send it back to Remington....ol blue

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
<jrpilot>
posted
I was just wondering, how many rounds do you have through your 223 that it now only shoots 1" @ 100

<Roger 4>
posted
Hello Blue;,,thanks for your response and
information. I know that this rifle should
shoot much better than this,,I had a PSS
in 308 a few years back,,you could count on it day in and day out for .3 groups,,a really good shooter. Maybe Ive just gotten a bad barrel this time.I going to try
a few other things this weekend before I give up completely,,and call Remington,,
anyway I appreciate your help. If you want to hear a real head kicker,,check this out.
You were talking about shooting factory class
benchrest,,I bought my son an H&R Ultra Varminter Hvy Barrel in 223,,one of "2"(hehe) I now have,,,Let them do a trigger job free of charge,,mounted a 6x18x40 Leupold for him,,
broke in the barrel,,and get between .3&.4
groups at a hundred yards with a $230 Rifle
I could of fell out of my seat when I seen how well it shot,,made me want to hide my Remington from him,,hahaha,,anyway,,guess
there is still much to be said for the American Underdogs ,,.Thanks again,,,Roger 4

one of us
posted Hide Post
JR, I'd hate to guess how many rounds... many thousands. I have a feeling though, with the .223, that it has less to do with the number of rounds, and more to do with the abuse these matches heap on them. We shoot for score at 300yds, 10 shot groups (hot loads),with a short time limit. Add in foulers and sighters all shot very quickly to catch a favorable condition, it all adds up to comparatively short barrel life. It has been one of the best factory rifles in the matches for quite a while. I definitely have got my moneys worth out of that barrel. At any rate, I mostly shoot a "real" bench gun in the serious matches, but I still like to shoot these local factory matches for fun. Just got to get one more match out of it, then decide where to go with it. Roger, sounds like you ought to sell that Rem. and buy a couple more of those H&Rs! That .308 PSS would be very competitive in factory score shooting. That big hole is nice for catching that next ring in, and they don't get pushed around by the wind as bad as the .223. Just have to control that recoil. That's actually better accuracy than any of the factory .308s shooting in our matches. Better hang on to it...ol blue

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
<rhyrlik>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Roger 4:
I own several 223s just picked this one up new,,out of the box,,,so far I've ran around
60 rounds through the barrel,,shoot and clean
method,,,,and this little puppy just want shoot,,2" at 100yds. best yet.
I pulled the stock checked for something out of the ordinary,,none found. Torqued the
action screws to 60 inch pounds,,after having
reassembled it in the H.S Precision stock.
Tried several hand loads with different rounds,,still 2",,,.I have noticed that the bore just want clean up very well from get go
,,Cooper just loves to cling on and on,,,thought about lapping the bore a few strokes with the ultra fine "White" grade
diamond polishing compound ,,but I've read
lots of negative thoughts on that now,,,as I'm sure lots of you have to,,,,never seen one like this before. Seems I read that these
barrels are Stainless,,then matte finished ?
anyone know?,,any thoughts on what might work would be appreciated,,,thanks,,,Roger 4
PS,,this is not a Scope or mount problem,,
already been through the whole 9 yards.

I have one too. Mine shot .25 MOA sometimes, but averaged .75 MOA for three shot groups. Here is the problem: 1. The action is not square- The bolt face and the lugs need to be square, not lapped, but squared in relation to the bore. 2. The runout on my bolt nose was .020" and the runout on my barrel threads was .015". 4. The neck was .256" tapered down to .248" at the tip. The throat was .226" in diameter and the bullets were .224".

All these problems need to be corrected for the rifle to shoot sub .5 MOA consistently. Your copper fouling indicates that your bore is oversized for the bullets you are using.

I suggest that you first clean the bore down to the metal with JB or some other abrasive. then leave some solvent in there overnight. Then clean again with JB just to make sure.

Then, get some Sierra bullets (because they measure .2245") and shoot one, then clean. Shoot two, then clean. Shoot three, then clean and so forth until you fire 50. If you do this with undersized bullets then you will only break in the lands, and not the grooves. Sierra is your best bet for fitting your bore correctly.

Check your scope. If you use windage adjustable rear rings, then chances are that your rear ring is loose. The screws sometimes loosen as the gun vibrates. The reticle might have become dislodged. This happens even in $2000 scopes.

Use a good front rest, and a rabbit-ear rear bag.

Adjust your trigger down to 2.5lbs. Get a Holland trigger return spring from Brownell's for $10 and you can go that low safely.

Make sure that the recoil lug bears evenly against the aluminum bedding block. The aluminum will mark it. Check if the bottom of the recoil lug touches the bottom of the recoil lug channel. If it does, then it will stress the barreled action when you torque the screws to 60inlbs. Check the bedding block itself to see if it bears evenly along the bottom of the front ring of the receiver. It will not mate 100%, but it should bear evenly along both sides of the "V" Make sure the barrel is fully free-floated. If you have any problems with the bedding block, then send the stock back to HS and they will promptly replace it.

I would not send the gun back to Remington because their standard is 2" @ 50yds. They will brush you off.

Lastly, the ammo. Buy a box of Federal Gold Medal 69gr. Match King. It averages in the .3's in correctly set-up rifles. Military ball shoots variably. 2" is the norm. Your handloads might be bad. Check the runout of your bullets by rolling them across a flat surface. Any visivle runout should be weeded out for accuracy work.

If all else fails, have your 'smith set the barrel back, rechamber, square the above mentioned areas. That shouldn't cost more than $300. Give that Remington barrel a chance. It is probably good.

Ralph

------------------