Login/Join

posted
Redhawk 45 Colt. New brass, besides chamfer do you
resize case?

Posts: 19 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 28 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
Big time!!! Must flare the case mouth too.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I always full length resize all my new brass before the first loading, regardless of caliber. From then on, it depends on the caliber and application.

For my 45 Colt loads, I always full length resize on every loading.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't chamfer straight-walled pistol cases unless I have a need to trim them to length, which hardly ever happens. The belling operation negates the need to chamfer pistol cases.

I full length resize all new brass as some of them have case mouths that are deformed. It's just the way it is with bulk brass.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just loaded about 200 22hornet cases on my Dillon and noticed that they only touched a little near the base. They fit my contender barrel before sizing. The main reason to size is to get proper neck tension. I didn’t champher inside necks and lost one case that buckled because the bullet base caught the edge of the neck. I am planning on trimming and doing my other prep work after they are fired and converted to K hornet. Hornet brass is thin and flimsy, I should have champherd with my vld champher tool.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always full length size new brass, as well as trim and sort it. Bulk brass can have some large variations in lenght/weight, as well as dented shoulders and out-of-round necks.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I always resize & chamfer. The case mouth can be dented or out of round & many times there are burrs.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Yes...size first

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To me it's a total waste of time to do that to a pistol case if you are going to bell the mouth anyhow.
I also think it's a waste of time on bottle neck but there I will run an expander into the case mouth before loading to make sure the wrinkles are out.
My question to reloaders is.....do you think the factories bother with another sizing process before loading factory ammo??? AND with a good gun some factory ammo can easily shoot .5 moa.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
To me it's a total waste of time to do that to a pistol case if you are going to bell the mouth anyhow.
I also think it's a waste of time on bottle neck but there I will run an expander into the case mouth before loading to make sure the wrinkles are out.
My question to reloaders is.....do you think the factories bother with another sizing process before loading factory ammo??? AND with a good gun some factory ammo can easily shoot .5 moa.

If you buy bulk brass, the mouth is damaged in shipping & can be out of round. The expander helps but doesn't make them round. I load on a Dillon, so to primer in the first stage, you can size anyway, so why not?

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see the point with a Dillon. For my purposes I usually plunge the brass over a lyman M-die which is nothing more than a mandrel. (A hornady expander also works for me). I usually get surprisingly good runnout with bulk brass doing nothing more than this and an inside neck chamfer. BTW I doubt those case mouths are damaged in shipping....my bet is they are handled really rough in their last stages of prep at the factory....no ups truck or mailman I know can do what I've seen to the case mouths.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:

I dont think the "factory" ships the brass Xmiles to a middle man and then has it un-packed then re-packed shipped Xmiles again then un-packed then loaded.

This is why I size first...even with new brass.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always round out the case mouth with an expander. If there is any deformation left I size the necks. Then I shoot it. I don't see any point in sizing the rest of the case with new brass unless you know ahead of time you have a fit problem.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's my guess the factory uses a tool like an M-die (2 stage mandrel) to open the case mouth beyond normal mouth dimensions and then seats the bullet and crimps. Without a slightly belled mouth they couldn't seat the bullet with no chamfer without chaffing it.