New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cases sticking
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently loaded up some new Rem 270 cases for load development. After finding what I was looking for I lubed the cases and tried to resize them. The cases would stick in the die and it took so much force to remove them that I thought the press would come out of the bench. I tried more lube,less lube but after strugling with four cases and loseing the skin on my hand once the cases broke free from the die I gave up on them.
I have had no trouble with other cases and seeing that these were brand new once fired cases it has left me wondering whats going on. Any ideas?

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well since I am not there to see for myself, are you sure you are using the right dies?

if you are... then were the reloads on the hot side?
Did you have problems reloading for this firearm previously?
Have you changed the setup on the dies?

There isnt enought information to do more than speculate but based on what I have had happen in the past, I would guess the headspace is off and the brass is now different sized from the dies or the chamber is poorly cut. I think more information/ background is needed.

Posts: 114 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The loads arn't hot by any means and I'm using the right die. I reloaded some older cases with no problems,these were also Rem cases and the same load with no problems. I'm wondering if there is a difference in the wall thickness of the new cases. Whwn I loaded the new cases they functioned fine in the rifle. No problems chambering or extracting them.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Strange business, this. Run into some weird ones, every once in a while

Are the dies Lyman? I've had the same problem in the past with Lyman dies in a few calibers till I wised up and determined that Lyman dies make good sinkers, or anchors if you have enough to melt down

Since you've had no problems with other brass in these dies, I'd toss the brass and go with what's worked before. If you have Lyman dies, I'd toss THEM and get a set of RCBS or Redding.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to mic the base of one of those fired cases and
one that worked before to compare
Compare them before resizing. Second yoou need to section the case giving trouble and one that worked and compare the base and web where base transitions to the side.Be interesting what you find,. Also measure the base size of your resize die for comparison to get an idea of how much it works the brass.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R-West The dies are RCBS. I agree with you on the Lymans though. I have some in 358 and hate them.

Hubel 458-,Mikeing the bases is a good idea. I loaded up a box of ammo but didn't see a deer worth expending a bullet on so it will be off to the range. I have never had this type of a problem with a resizeing die befor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had stuck cases and remember the struggle of reforming cases: when your operations become too mechanical, you'll loose the feel and voil� - your case is stuck . When you need more force, take out the case, relube, and go again - sometimes 3 or 4 times.

Cutting a new and an old case lengthwise for examination is a good idea, but before you may want to compare their weight and water volume.

But all these examinations may be fruitless if the quality of brass has been changed.
With a bit of luck and feel you may find a different amount of pressure is needed to deform the mouth of the case (and the springback will be different).

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In your post you sound like you're mainly having trouble lowering the ram, i.e. pulling the case back over the expander. Is that right?

Everything that you described is exactly what happens to me when the insides of the necks are not properly lubed. Having excessive headspace isn't going to cause that kind of problem, atleast no upon removal. You'd get resistance on the way in, not the way out. With the compound leverage of the press you'd cram the case back to factory dimensions as soon as you ran it up in the die. If you get resistance when you're removing the case, then mic'ing the cases isn't going to tell you squat. What if you remove the expander? That will tell you exactly where you're getting the resistance. From your description though, it sounded to me like you were saying that it was binding when you were pulling the expander back through the case neck/mouth. (You didn't say it explicity, that's just what I interpreted.)

More info please!

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've actually had the neck expanding button crack on a set of RCBS dies and back up on the pin and spread. It's kinda hard to describe but it makes going through the neck awfully hard on the downstroke (not at the top but on the way back through the neck).

Posts: 226 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, what condition was the outsides of the cases after you removed them from the die? If they are scratched, you need to clean the inside of the die with some steel wool and Kroil. I remembered that I have a set of 308 dies that will stick a case in no time if they are dirty inside.

Posts: 114 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I should have mentioned checking brass thickness in
the neck, in the trouble cases compared to ones that pulled out of the die easy.Extra thickness there can bind on expander on the way out.It has happened before..Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Twice I have gotten cases jam stuck in dies and had to thread the base of each case and on and on. Both times I was using Lyman qwick spray case lube. After that I played with it for a while and convinced myself never to use it again. Is this what your using? roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The outside of the cases are fine. That was one of the first things I checked. I will check the expander ball which is a great idea and I hadn't thought of that. When I lube the case neck I use a Q-Tip with RCBS case lube and swab the inside of the neck. I tried the sprays but didn't like them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich there's a quicker way than using a q-tip. I'm guessing you probably have an RCBS kit or something similar. The RCBS kit comes with a green plastic handle for the brushes. Use one of the nylon brushes and roll it on the case lube pad and then run it into the neck once or twice. It's quick, easy, and it will pull debris out of the neck if there is any. I generally re-oil the brush about every 5 cases or so. Anyway, let us know what it does when you take the expander out.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A little case lube in the neck solved the problem. I don't know why I didn't think of it on my own. Thank you to all that responded and put me back on track.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem. Get rid of the RCBS lube and get a tube of Lee's sizing wax. $1.50 or so. Powder won't stick to it and apply with the Q-tip as before. You won't believe the difference. Good luck.

Posts: 44 | Location: Deer Park, WA. 99006 | Registered: 23 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Rich...Try taking your die apart and cleaning it. Here is the name of two spray lubes I like. Hornady one shot and Midway spray-n-lube. Spray a light amount on the inside of your sizing die and put your cases in the loading block and spray a light coat on them too. The stuff flows good so don't over do it. I just make a habit of wiping the shoulder off to avoid dents. Make sure your cases are clean too....
I'm surprized with the force you used to get those cases out of the die you did'nt peal the rim off with the shell holder.... It happens! The RCBS stuck case remover is a handy tool for that...I hate it when that happens.
I don't like rcbs case lube either. Too waxy! Like with anything, it takes a little experimenting to get it right.
I like the sprays because its so fast once you get the hang of it, and you don't have the extra step of lubing the necks.
Glad you've got it figured out.

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote