New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEE Classic Cast vs Redding Big Boss II
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Both of these presses claim to have the industry's largest opening and longest stroke.

Only one can be true.

The Big Boss II claims 4-1/2 opening. Lee Claims 4-1/4 stroke. I need info to fill in the blanks.

Anyone have these presses? Please let me/us know what dimensions and capabilities they actually posess.

Thanks

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
Both of these presses claim to have the industry's largest opening and longest stroke.

I have a feeling there are other presses which have a larger opening than either of the two. RCBS AmmoMaster springs to mind.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have both to measure but I suspect you can believe the measurements both companies publish if not their 'biggest' hype.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have an RCBS AmmoMaster. I guess it's an older model - the one with 3 vertical "posts". I just measured the inside depth and came up with 5 5/8". This without shell holder or die installed. Bought it a number of years ago to load my .45-3-1/4 (aka .45-120). Tho I don't have the big .45 anymore, I still use it - works like a charm too.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my classic cast has 5" opening and a 4" stroke. it's one of the earlier models if that makes a difference.

really good press.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both a Classic Cast and an Ammomaster, both are excellent and also capable of loading 50BMG as I have done so with each.
However the Ammomaster does have a larger opening which makes it a bit handier for working with longer, larger cartridges...

Posts: 98 | Location: Fraser Valley B.C. | Registered: 07 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kevan. I'll be loading 600 Overkill and 300RUM. I was more concerned about the Overkill than anything else. Maybe I'll give the Ammomaster a second thought now.....

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote