Notify
Tools

Re: Clean Burning: Rate the Powders
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted
Quote:

All of the VihtaVuori powders are clean burning, however...

Don't tell that to my buddy Mark, VV135 is filthy. Of the powders you use, H4895 and H4350 are the best, RE15 and Varget are tops with 140-150grainers. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

For a hunting rifle (deer) is this even important?

No.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay,
Quote:

Don't tell that to my buddy Mark, VV135 is filthy.

Almost every rule has its exceptions, I suppose. I don't have experience with VV135, but VV133 is very clean burning in my 223 Rem Ackley Improved.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't really care how dirty the powder is in my hunting rifle as long as it shoots straight and it kills whatever I shoot at.

Posts: 53 | Location: Bundaberg,Queensland , Australia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Re15 and no is doesn't matter.

one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

To this point all the bullets loaded have been 140 grains.

I forgot to include Varget as one of the powders I have tried. I did not get good accuracy from it but that was back when I first started reloading. Maybe I'm doing a better job now and will try it again.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote