THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handloader Magazine #209? 300 Savage article?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have this issue that they'd be willing to part with? I'm specifically interested in the .300 Savage article in this issue. I checked w/ the publisher, but the back issues of #209 are sold out. Any help is appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
You might try to get a back issue of the may/june issue of rifleshooter. There is a decent article on the original 300 in that one by Layne Simpson. It is obvious from his listed loads that he doesnt really do much with it though. The best powders for the 300 are the same ones that work the best with a 308 Win like Rlr 15 and Varget.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. I believe I may have that issue, I'll have to check when I get home.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey biglmbass, Are you looking for actual Load information, or just interested in the article?

If you are interested in Loaf info, is it for a M99?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have that issue, but I don't really want to part with it. I'd be willing to copy that article and send it by mail, or I could scan it and send it to your email. While I was looking for it ( scanning the covers for the issue number ) I also saw in issue 220 an article by John Barsness named "Three Old Thirties" about the 300 Savage, 300 H&H, and the 30-40 Krag, and it has some info about loading data and history for all three of those. You might like that article as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in the article primarily, however I’m sure the load data will be of some use also. I’ll be loading for a 700 Classic chambered in .300 Savage.

Someone from another reloading forum has a copy of the article in the mail to me so I should soon have a copy of my own. Thanks for the offer, Kryder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biglmbass:
... I’ll be loading for a 700 Classic chambered in .300 Savage. ...
In that situation, the Loads shown in the various Reloading Manuals should be easy to duplicate without excess Pressure problems. Still always a good idea to watch for the Pressure Indicators though, cause a tight Bore(which many Remingtons have) can elevate pressure.

The reason I'd asked is because the Loads used in a M99 can create Head Separations very quickly if a person attempts to turn the 300Sav into a 308Win by simply adding more powder.

Good old caliber. I always thought Ruger should have brought their Ranch Rifle out in 300Sav. But I suppose people would have been hot-rodding them and tearing them up.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a copy of Handloader #227(feb-March 2004) which has Stan Trzoniciec's article on the 700 Classic in 300 Savage. Is this the article you're looking for?

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually no, that's not it, but the article you mention in #227 does seem interesting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you send me a PM with your mailing address, I'll photocopy this article plus any others I can find containg 300 Savage reloading data.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you kindly.