New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am getting ready to reload for my 375 H&H and have a question regarding the overall length of the loaded cartridge. When using a 300 grain Barnes Triple Shock I get a measurement of 3.7620" (measured using stoney point tools) then I subtract the .050" Barnes says to do leaving me with an overall length of 3.7120". Now I looked in Hornady's reloading manual and they say that the maximum length should be 3.600"

Am I seating the bullets deep enough? This is a single shot rifle and I am not crimping the bullets.

Thanks,

Robert

<allen day>
posted
For a single-shot rifle, I sure wouldn't worry about not seating the bullets deep enough. I'd seat those bullets so that they just miss the lands and then start testing at the range.

Just as long as your ammunition chambers properly and just as long as live ammo extracts without the bullet staying in the chamber, you should be A-OK. You might measure AOL AFTER you extract a live round from the chamber, just to make sure that the everything's kosher, though.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of .375's, in fact all of the ones I have owned will hit the end of the magazine box before the lands. Since you're using a single shot , start about .020 off the lands and adjust shorter for accuracy, OAL in a book means nothing.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote