THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Do Mono Metal Bullets Barnes X etc. Reduce barrel life faster than lead/copper?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do Mono Metal Bullets Barnes X etc. Reduce barrel life faster than lead/copper?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are the monometals much harder on barreles...................would you see a significant lessening of barrel life over normal copper/lead bullets ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jagter
posted Hide Post
Read more about barrel wear here.

OWLS
My Africa, with which I will never be able to live without!

Posts: 654 | Location: RSA, Mpumalanga, Witbank. | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thaks for that Jagter !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Are the monometals much harder on barreles...................would you see a significant lessening of barrel life over normal copper/lead bullets ??

The only single-metal bullet I have used is the Baenes X and TSX. Both of these are nade from pure copper, which is softer than the gilding metal from which MOST lead-core jacketed bullet jackets are made these days.

Pure copper smears off easier, thus causing more fouling than gilding metal, so I suppose one might get more barrel wear from cleaning it out, but not from merely firing such bullets!

("Barrel wear" is actually erosion/gas cutting caused by high temperatures and pressures, not by bullet friction!)

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose you MIGHT get more wear from cleaning if you were using purely mechanical methods to get the copper fouling out.

Frankly, I don't even brush my bores to remove copper
as the cleaners I use are SO effective that brushing is a waste of time.

Wet patch, sit for 5min, dry patch, then repeat until the dry ones don't come out of the bore bright blue at which point you are done....

I use BoreTech copper remover because Barnes recommends against letting their CR-10 copper remover from sitting in a stainless steel barrel for more than 15minutes.

(Ammonia based copper remover attacks Nickel just as effectively as it attacks copper, so keep it away from nickel plated finishes)

By comparison guilding metal fouling doesn't seem as easy to remove! So I really don't understand what all the worry is about.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote